Oil Painting As Gift

malbec1947

Registered
My wife and I visit Argentina often. She is an artist and would like to gift an oil painting to a waiter at a BA restaurant. We want to carry the painting and stretcher bars with us in a tube for reassembly in BA. Is anyone aware if bringing a painting into Argentina as a gift is a problem? Any suggestions on a frame shop that can re-stretch the canvas for us. Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem. We've brought a few in that way. Our friend Laura at Gabriola Gallery (Honduras 5260) can restrech for you.

T/

Several years ago, I brought in an oil painting from Russia which at the time was about $30usd. The customs "officer" wanted to see its export papers. I explained to him that I bought it on the street in St. Petersburg and it was not by a great master. "How can I know that?" was his answer. It was so obvious he wanted a bribe but I answered back " I slept so well on the flight and am not tired at all(I was dead tired) that I can wait until you bring in an art expert." After about 10 minutes, he said to go and from now on always travel with export papers! That was my experience just FYI.

Back