OK...Something I have not found (no I am not talking about peanut butter)!

Langostino is available- but I am not sure if its exactly "lobster" as in Maine Lobster. But its probably the closest you will find for a reasonable price.

I was at a nice neighborhood restaurant I like, Martita, in Boedo (Cochabomba y Colombres) and they have Langostino right now- I think its around 25 pesos.
They also serve several Gambas (shrimp) dishes, such as Gambas with spagetti, Ostinos (Oysters) and a really killer Rabas (calimari) appetizer. One of the best calimari's I have had in a long time, perfectly cooked, not rubbery at all.

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=2133

I have eaten there several times, the food is great, all the pastas are made in house, and its very reasonably priced. There is almost always a line, and its hardly in a well travelled area- the locals know good when they taste it.

Here, langostino = prawn = oversized shrimp. Far from beign anything close to a Maine lobster. :) ... Langostinos here taste funny too.... like river water or somethin' :(

Fly to Santiago and have the real thing. Consider it a romantic get away.

Plenty in Mar del Plata

Here try....Restaurante Puerto Cristal

Located in the heart of Puerto Madero,
A few meters from the Sarmiento Frigate
and the Bridge of Calatrava, the Restaurant
Puerto Cristal is situated a hundred meters
from Belgrano Avenue, on 1082,
Alicia Moreau de Justo Avenue.
Dock 7 Dock 3 - Puerto Madero

Restaurante Puerto Cristal - Puerto Madero - Buenos Aires

Map

Lobster = Langosta

LivingLargeBA said:
Here, langostino = prawn = oversized shrimp. Far from beign anything close to a Maine lobster. :) ... Langostinos here taste funny too.... like river water or somethin' :(

Maybe they are crayfish then ie. langostinos del rio & not sea prawns?

mini said:
Maybe they are crayfish then ie. langostinos del rio & not sea prawns?

Nope, not crawfish, there are fresh water shrimp. I understand that in the rivers in the north there is something similar to crawfish living in the waters, but no one is eating it.

Mike

Usually, the differenc is that langostine have front claws like crayfish (and lobsters). Prawns and shrimp do not have these front claws.

Langostinos in Argentina = shrimp in the US. They're quite good but unrelated to langoustine in France. I think the French would call these Gambas.

The only lobsters I've seen here, either in markets or restaurants, are spiny lobsters, and they're frozen. Also VERY expensive and not worth the effort.

Back