Okra - Where To Get

Shoeb

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I am an Indian and I love cooking Green vegetables. from Sometimes I have been roaming around Verduleria to find fresh stuff I get bac in home. surprisingly,I have found some really good variety of vegetables here. however never came across Okra (or lady fingers, thats what we call in India).

Anyone have any idea where to get it?

Shoeb

The word for Okra in spanish is "quimbombó". I've never seen it here before, however if you go to mercado central or towards Liniers, where they have a wider variety of ethnic products, someone likely sells it. I love fried okra!

There's a verduleria in mercado del progreso that has it (they've consistently had it for the past year or so, the last few weeks I can't say because I haven't been looking for it). If you enter from Centenera and go straight past the fish and chicken sellers on your left, its straight in front of you.

thanks, i will check for it . I hate china town, everything there looks so unfresh.

Here is sometimes called "bamias" by the sefaradic jewish community, or "chaucha turca".
It can be found in or around Villa Crespo, but at certain times of the year (summer, I think).
My mother used to cook a dish of bamias, tomatoes and mutton, very tasty indeed

shoeb,

let us know if you findd it eventually and if so, whereabouts? add some fotos as well, please.

One thing you can do whenever you're living somewhere and there's this one darned ingredient you can't find is to ask a restaurant whose menu shows it must use it.

Just spent a few hours looking around Palermo in the Armenian shops, and seriously... my head does not store all the possible names of things when I go shopping for them on a whim:

Okra, Quimbombó, Quingombó, Chaucha Turca, Ají turco, Gumbo, Gombo, Algalia, Angelonia, Ocra, Yerba de culebra , Hibiscus esculentus = Abelmoschus esculentus.

I found okra on mercadoLibre in the form of seeds to grow it at home (which i will get anyways), but in the meantime, the plan is to make gumbo next weekend.

Has anyone come across okra in the last week?

Back