Olive Oil warning.

PhilipDT

Registered
I learned this a few months ago but it just came to mind while I was buying some olive oil at the dietetica.

The Argentine Government doesn't regulate Olive Oil grades. So the classifications you are used to in other countries such as Extra Virgen, Virgen, Pure, etc. do not mean anything here. Which is why all the oil is extra virgen.

With all my respect, your assertion is unaccurate.
It is regulated in a very clear way:

http://www.senasa.gov.ar/contenido.php?to=n&in=1019&io=4740

It is forbidden to sell a blend (olive/sunflower for example) under the name of "olive".

"Virgen" means that it was extracted by mechanical methods.

Extra virgen means that the acidity is maximmun 0,8%.

Just virgen means that acidity is maximmum 2%.

Virgen corriente means that acidity is between 2,1 until 3,3%.

Just olive oil means that it is a blend between virgen and refinated.

Refinated olive oil is extracted by chemical methods, it is the cheapest and it cannot be sold pure for humans because its acidity is over 3,3%.

So, I believe that the system is very clear. But if it is bottled by unrealiable suppliers, well, you know.

Regards

I do get a damned good deal on my 500ml bottles of Olive Oil at a mini-mercado/verduleria/dietetica near my place. I believe that it goes for about AR$17 or so. I'm now thinking that the price is too good to be true... though it does look, smell, and taste like Olive Oil.

If it is blended with refined olive oil, it tastes like olive but it is not helthy: it has hydrogened oil.
If it is a blend, the common cheat, it still tastes olive but you are paying a very expensive the sunflower oil.
Somethimes it is simple extra virgen and you just got a good price, but only if they are producers and they sell without resellers.
The is a place like that at Riobamba almost Corrientes.
Regards

Napoleon said:
I do get a damned good deal on my 500ml bottles of Olive Oil at a mini-mercado/verduleria/dietetica near my place. I believe that it goes for about AR$17 or so. I'm now thinking that the price is too good to be true... though it does look, smell, and taste like Olive Oil.

You need a chemical test to realize the quality and the cheats. Brands that had legal authorization for selling, made it.

Trying to find "primera prensa/prensada". It's supposed to be the oil that naturally comes out of the first squeeze.
"premium" olive oil is so light and clear I don't really believe it's olive oil.
Any leads? What kind of place in Riobamba and Corrientes? Gato Negro? An almacen like the ones that pour honey instead of selling it prepacked?

Hello there,
I've been consuming olive oil for several months now. You have to choose carefully the brand you buy. I'd recommend the "Yancanelo" brand, bottles of 250ml that costs now about AR$20. The comapny is exclusively dedicated to olives and the oil is cold-extracted. When it comes to your health, nothing is too expensive.

And avoid asking for olive oil in restaurants, they probably buy the cheapest brand and you wouldn't really know what you're putting in your plate.

Cheers

Good God, where we live we just pick the stuff off the trees and there is never more than one press so I'v never understood the whole Virgin bit. It comes out thick and green a tasted like nuts. Guess I'll be bringing ours back next time I go.

Back