OMG - are Argentine women whiners?

Sundowner

Registered
I'm about to move to BsAs and I've met a 41 yo professional woman on line. She's traveled for work to the US and Europe. She lives in an expensive neighbourhood. I thought it would be nice to have someone to hang with when I arrive who is a local, and maybe get a new GF as well! We had our first conversation today. For 25 minutes she told me how hard life is in BsAs, inflation, how the peso is overvalued and will collapse after the election, etc, etc. Do Argentine women (and men) have such a negative and sour and opinion of their own country? She kinda put me off! I've seen some negative comments and opinions on this site about the downside of BsAs. I'd really value your comments and experiences! :confused:

Best to make up your own mind when you've been here a while.
Sure, some of them like to whinge and there is plenty to whinge about. My favourite is the price of meat. Boy, is that a hot topic at a BBQ!
Lay back and enjoy the ride!

haha...I'm pretty open but she put me on my heals - I was shocked by the strength of her negativity. Probably just her!?? I'd be interested in learning a few local ladies advice!

Thank God my Argentine wife never shouts or screams; she has other qualities that make me scream at the appropriate moments :)

I think it's important to differentiate between Portenas and woman from anywhere else in Argentina. Frankly, I think most portenas are crazy, hysterical, and likely to try to borrow money from you. Women from the rest of Argentina, absolutely amazing people.

I think the expats (myself included) whine just as much about inflation, etc as any local so I wouldn't be put off by that.
I have heard of (and seen) some argentine ladies looking for foreign men online (maybe to get out of the country?)...perhaps they might more inclined to moan about things here. I'm sure you'll find plenty of non-whiners once you arrive though!

Sundowner said:
I'm about to move to BsAs and I've met a 41 yo professional woman on line. She's traveled for work to the US and Europe. She lives in an expensive neighbourhood. I thought it would be nice to have someone to hang with when I arrive who is a local, and maybe get a new GF as well! We had our first conversation today. For 25 minutes she told me how hard life is in BsAs, inflation, how the peso is overvalued and will collapse after the election, etc, etc. Do Argentine women (and men) have such a negative and sour and opinion of their own country? She kinda put me off! I've seen some negative comments and opinions on this site about the downside of BsAs. I'd really value your comments and experiences! :confused:

If you enter the words "Argentine women" in the search box you will find threads like these:

Why Argentine Women are so Angry!

Argentine Women Are All...

Women in BA

Dating Argentines...

Argentine women

It's a class thing. If they are middle class (or see themselves as middle class), they generally complain all the time when they perceive that they live in a country with a left wing government. This is true in all developing nations, not only Argentina.

And it also applies on all middle class expats here. Thread after thread, all they do is just complain. Makes you wonder what the hell they are doing here.

Back