Once you obtain residency in Argentina, are you authorized to work in all MERCOSUR countries?

Fiscal

Registered
Not Argentinian citizenship, but the residency permit you get from going through the RADEX process and getting a DNI?

i doubt it. work authorization is likely based on your citizenship.

i say this because once i tried to enter brazil with my DNI, thinking i was covered by mercosur. i was kindly informed by their immigration people that i needed a visa as a US citizen. didn't matter that i was an argentina resident.

Once you obtain residency in Argentina, are you authorized to work in all MERCOSUR countries?

Not Argentinian citizenship, but the residency permit you get from going through the RADEX process and getting a DNI?

No.

once i tried to enter brazil with my DNI, thinking i was covered by mercosur. i was kindly informed by their immigration people that i needed a visa as a US citizen. didn't matter that i was an argentina resident.

As of June 17, 2019, US citizens are no longer required to have a visa to enter Brazil.

PS: But don't forget your passport, as I don't think a US citizen would be admitted without one, even if they have an Argentine DNI.

...work authorization is likely based on your citizenship.

Work authorization in Argentina is not based on citizenship. It is based on residency with the DNI. As far as i know, members of other Mercosur countries are required to get Argentine residency and a DNI to work legally in Argentina.

Last edited:
As of June 17, 2019, US citizens are no longer required to have a visa to enter Brazil.

PS: But don't forget your passport, as I don't think a US citizen would be admitted without one, even if they have an Argentine DNI.

The advance tourist visa requirement to enter Brazil has been eliminated for citizens of other countries as well.

PS; I believe Pensador once posted that he traveled from Argentina to Uruguay using only an Argentine DNI, but I don't know if that is still possible or if would apply other Mercosur countries.

No. Residence/work permit agreements are based on nationality, not on resident status.

Same happens in the EU; if you are not a EU citizen but you're a legal resident in a EU country (even if you have permanent residence) you are only allowed to work in that country, and NOT in any of the other 27. You will be able to travel freely as a tourist to any Schengen-area country, though.

For some Mercosur countries, for example Brazil, even if you become a naturalized Argentine citizen you have to wait 2 years to be able to obtain a Brazilian residence permit. In other words, natural-born Argentines are able to obtain Brazilian residence immediately, but naturalized Argentines have a 2-year wait from their naturalization date before they can apply.

yep, i know it's changed now. this was a few years ago now when i stupidly tried it :)

PS; I believe Pensador once posted that he traveled from Argentina to Uruguay using only an Argentine DNI, but I don't know if that is still possible or if would apply other Mercosur countries.
As of last year, you could travel to an bordering country using only your DNI, even if that DNI is for just a residencia temporaria. I know this because we took both our passports and DNI to Aeroparque to fly to Chile, because we did not know if we could use just our DNI. The passport control officer told us that we needed only our DNI. Right after we got to Chile my passport and US driver's license were stolen (they were in the same passport holder), but I was again able to use only my DNI to get back into Argentina. When I applied for a new passport at the US Embassy here, the Consul did not know that you could get in and out of the country on just your DNI and questioned me about that, as if I was lying about my passport having been stolen.

No. Residence/work permit agreements are based on nationality, not on resident status. .

"Agreements" between nations (by definition) may be based on nationality, but, at least in Argentina, I don't see how residency and work permits are tied to nationality. While it may be "easier" for a foreigner who is a citizen of another Mercorsur country to get residency and a DNI in Argentina, If they qualify for residency, I don't think it matters what country a foreigner is a citizen of in order to obtain Argentine residency and the DNI.

Temporary residency in Argentina may be based on having a work contract with an Argentine company that is registered with Argentine migraciones to hire foreigners, but it can also be based on being a student or having a passive foreign income (just to name two) and I believe it is possible for any foreigner who is a citizen of any country to work in Argentina if they have at least temporary residency and the DNI.

Same happens in the EU; if you are not a EU citizen but you're a legal resident in a EU country (even if you have permanent residence) you are only allowed to work in that country, and NOT in any of the other 27. You will be able to travel freely as a tourist to any Schengen-area country, though.

I have no doubt this is correct and it is also the case in Argentina. Temporary and permanent residency in Argentina do not grant the right to work in any other Mercorsur country. This is the answer to Fiscal's question.

For some Mercosur countries, for example Brazil, even if you become a naturalized Argentine citizen you have to wait 2 years to be able to obtain a Brazilian residence permit. In other words, natural-born Argentines are able to obtain Brazilian residence immediately, but naturalized Argentines have a 2-year wait from their naturalization date before they can apply.

As this applies to citizens of Argentina getting residency in Brazil (without actually living there?), I assume that would entitle them to work in Brazil, but it raises a separate question: As a citizen of a non-Merorsur country, can a foreigner (like Fiscal) apply for and receive a residence permit in Brazil that would entitle them to live and work in Brazil without waiting two years (in other words, without becoming a citizen)?

Last edited:
The advance tourist visa requirement to enter Brazil has been eliminated for citizens of other countries as well.

I was curious and asked the URU people at the airport they said I could enter URU with just my DNI. I had my US passport at the time. Just to clarify. But as you said I am not sure if that would still apply. But my guess would be yes URU loves tourism and expat cash believe me.

Back