One thing still cheaper than US

garygrunson

Registered
Nice comparison of cost of medical procedures in Argentina vs. US in the Washington Post.

For me, medical access and costs are one of the thing great about Argentina. I have had nothing but good experiences here, but I am sure there are horror stories. I just have horror stories about the US medical establishment.

that page is asking me to register. can you copy paste the article?

scotttswan said:
i would say 99% of the countries world wide have a better health care system than the states.

Why would you say that?

If you consider infant mortality and life expectancy as critical factors the evaluation of a country's heath care system, the United States is in the top 25% in both categories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate

But just barely in the top 25% for life expectancy (thanks to alcohol and tobacco related diseases...which are self inflicted...as opposed to being caused by the lack of healthcare).

Obesity is also a major factor in the lower rate of life expectancy in the US. Having once been obese myself, I can say that was self inflicted as well (though I realize the problem is genetic for some).

http://blog.healthychoicenaturals.com/united_states_drops_to_50_for_worldwide_life_expectancy/

For less than $200 USD per month I have great private medical insurance in Argentina, but costs here are very, very, low for medical services. I recently had an xray. I asked how much it would cost if it wasn't covered by my provider.

The answer was $50 pesos. And the waiting time (with no appointment) was fifteen minutes.

The price here is good in relation to what you get, quite unlike that in the States. However, I believe that's related more to people who pay for their healthcare than people who get it through the free government hospitals. Never forget the difference between the two.

I have heard mixed stories about government hospitals here.

I have a friend who lives out in the sticks somewhere to the east of the city who had a medical problem and visited the hospital out where he lives. He says he received good attention, although the place wasn't very clean or well-repaired. He says he was treated very well, but also mentioned the fact that he was a foreigner and felt that had something to do with it - he was the first foreigner anyone there had treated, at least at the hospital itself.

I've heard other good stories as well.

Recently, however, I had occasion to enter a government-run hospital. Almost 5 ago months now (well, recent is relative) my wife's brother's wife gave birth to a beautiful little baby girl. We went out to the hospital to visit her. The hospital was in Barracas (don't remember the name). It wasn't in a horrble state of repairs, but it wasn't exactly well-maintained or particularly clean either.

It turns out that the staff is very short, at least in this particular hospital. They had ONE GUY who ran their gurneys, and the day the woman went to the hospital, he was on vacation and she had to walk up three flights of stairs to get to the maternity ward. The elevators weren't working.

The ward itself was enclosed behind a single door, with a Nurse Ratchett-like nurse guarding it fiercely. Only one person at a time was allowed in. The room in which she was staying was a bit run down and she shared it with three other women, out of six beds. Not terrible, really.

But she had to provide someone to stay with her because they had a lack of nurses. It was literally a requirement. My wife ended up staying the night with her, and ran out to get her water and food from a nearby kiosco because the hospital didn't supply it, at least not for new mothers.

My wife has also has had some pretty horrendous experiences with local hospitals with two of her brothers who live and work here, as far as the way they treat Paraguayans. And her brothers are not free-loaders - they are hard workers who work in the white and pay their fair share of taxes.

So to me, the goodness and affordability of the healthcare system here is all relative, as many things in this life, as to how much money you have and what "station" in life you occupy.

I have Hospital Aleman insurance, and it is indeed quite cheaper than anything I would pay in the States. It is also a very well-run and well-maintained hospital. It has state-of-the-art equipment and doctors with whom I feel comfortable. It also has numerous clinics throughout the city and Gran Buenos Aires with which it has agreements for reciprocal care so you aren't locked in to going only to the main hospital on Puerrydon and Beruti.

Reactions: PSK
The healthcare in the US sucks, there're excellent tecnology, but the insurance system is awfull, a ripoff. Obama did something but not enough... Taxes are 7% in fl. against 21% in ARg. thought, well I guess the gov. needs that money for health purposes...

Carlosgreat said:
The healthcare in the US sucks, there're excellent tecnology, but the insurance system is awfull, a ripoff. Obama did something but not enough... Taxes are 7% in fl. against 21% in ARg. thought, well I guess the gov. needs that money for health purposes...

Too bad the government doesn't use that money for health purposes.

Much of the healthcare in this country is supposed to be funded via a portion of the personal income tax paid by companies on behalf of the employee, specifically targeted to healthcare. I can't remember the percentage any more, something like 9%?

As I alluded to below, ask a lower-class worker here how he or she likes the healthcare provided by the government, versus someone with a better job who can afford private insurance. Also, look at the percentage of income to insurance payments here for someone paying for private insurance versus in the States. I think you might see that the percentages come pretty close.

Also, ask a doctor here how he likes being paid less than a bus driver because bus drivers belong to a seriously powerful union and doctors don't.

Obama didn't do anything to fix the healthcare problem in the States - he just tried to put a bandaid on top of a crappy system that would supposedly help take some of the payment burden off of people who couldn't afford to pay for it. I have many ideas on why the US health system sucks, and it doesn't have much to do with poorer people not being able to afford it, it has to do with EVERYONE ELSE trying to take advantage of it in one way or another, including those who CAN afford to pay for it and use their insurance to buy medical services, not use it as a safeguard against big problems, as well as insurance companies controlling how healthcare is given, and court systems that cause all kinds of problems and complications and doctors' associations (through doctors) thinking doctors should be treated like gods.

When I first arrived here in BA, I got really sick and my friend took me to a public hospital on Las Heras, since it was a Sunday morning. They took me in within minutes, found a doctor who spoke english for me and she did a blood test and an ultra sound, because I was convinced that I had appendicitis. After a few hours they decided that I just had some type of virus and sent me home after an injection and some prescriptions. It cost me nothing and I had no insurance here at the time.

In NYC, where i am from, a trip to the hospital for something similar would not be an option. I waited once with a friend who had similar problems for almost 12 hours in the hospital emergency room. And this was a slow night. If you get sick in the states you need to call your doctor and hope you can make it till he or she can see you during regular business hours. All this is when you have insurance, I am not sure what you would do without insurance, I am sure it is worse.

This is one thing the Argentina people got right. I am moving back to the states soon and already dreading the whole medical insurance song and dance there.

Reactions: PSK
The public hospitals are alright here. They are not great, but they are not awful either. I've been in public hospitals numerous times, and none of them are exceptionally clean, but they aren't exactly dirty either.

The private health care here is excellent in my opinion. It may not be on the level, technologically speaking, as healthcare in Europe, Canada, or the US, but it sure is close. We had our daughter in Sanatorio Guemes (I highly recommend the hospital, but not the insurance that comes with it, Hominis) and overall, it was a good experience. The hospital was clean and efficient, much more so than the public hospitals.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned a lot on this forum, is if you work en blanco, that is, work and pay taxes, the government provides you health insurance which you can use to go to the private hospitals.

garygrunson said:
When I first arrived here in BA, I got really sick and my friend took me to a public hospital on Las Heras, since it was a Sunday morning. They took me in within minutes, found a doctor who spoke english for me and she did a blood test and an ultra sound, because I was convinced that I had appendicitis. After a few hours they decided that I just had some type of virus and sent me home after an injection and some prescriptions. It cost me nothing and I had no insurance here at the time...

That's hospital is sort of a flagship government hospital. Not quite indicative of most government hospitals here.

Back