One-way car rental to Ushuaia? (anyone wants to share the trip?)

It's like you're trying to talk this guy out of one of the best road trips ever!!

Do it, plan accordingly, plan your fuel stops, bring a Garmin InReach Mini or something similar, and go for it. I've done 3 road trips around Argentina, been to all 23 provinces. I didn't drive to Ushuaia though, I flew there in a small plane (and also commercially).

Sounds like an awesome trip.

BTW I rented a car from Mendoza once to drive to Chile. Just make sure you communicate with the car rental place and that you have the necessary paperwork.

One of the reasons I got a mid-size SUV here in Argentina (Volvo XC60) was to be able to make a trip like this, so I certainly hope it comes off and we get to hear about it here in the forum.

Just as a data point, on Mercadolibre a 10-year old XC60, which will take 4-5 people comfortably, would cost USD10-12k depending on mileage. The paperwork was wrapped up reasonably quickly, only the green ownership card took a few weeks to arrive. These cars don't seem to lose value here.

Might be worth buying one and then selling it at the end?
I'm not in the country long enough to do this, but if someone here would rent me his or her car from around December 22 to February 5, I am willing to pay $2.000-$5.000 (depending on the car) for it.

I'm not in the country long enough to do this, but if someone here would rent me his or her car from around December 22 to February 5, I am willing to pay $2.000-$5.000 (depending on the car) for it.
Doesn't sound a good idea for the car owner, even with the money you've offered, since he or she would have to fly to Ushaia and drive the car back. And that's lots of wear and tear on the car.

Doesn't sound a good idea for the car owner, even with the money you've offered, since he or she would have to fly to Ushaia and drive the car back. And that's lots of wear and tear on the car.

I forgot to say that - unless the car owner wants to do this awesome road trip himself in the reverse direction - I would have a friend fly down and bring the car back.

Sounds like he will more than cover the wear and tear costs for both directions along with the fuel and travel on the way back. If someone really wanted to make the reverse trip anytime after early February it sounds like it could extremely beneficial.

Back