Opening A Bank Account By A Non-Resident Tourist

pmacher

Registered
Sorry if this is searchable, but I couldn't readily find it...
Can a non-permanent resident open a bank account in BA?

A non-permanent means permanent resident ? my XP is you need permanent residence, temporary residence will not do!

I opened one even before I had temporary residency, at Banco Itau. I think I had to get a CDI and a CUIL though. Go and ask them.

We have an account with Banco Frances with temporary DNI's. We actually first opened it with our passports, before we had DNI's. We have several Argentine credit cards which some people say only Argentines can have. There is a lot of confusing information out there, and it depends on the bank, and the time of day, and what the weather is like, and whether it is an even or an odd day, etc etc. Perhaps the fact that my husband is employed by the CONICET as a monotributista helps, no idea. On the other hand, I have a friend who is a permatourist and has a bank account with Banco de la Nacion. All he needed is a CDI which anybody can get.

Yes we are talking caja de ahorros.

Sorry if this is searchable, but I couldn't readily find it...
Can a non-permanent resident open a bank account in BA?

Yes. You need a CUIL for sure. Maybe a few other things too. My wife has an account here using her U.S. Passport and CUIL, I believe. She has a legit job too. They set it up for her.

We have an account with Banco de la Nation, no DNI, but we do own an apartment and they liked that.
Nancy

This is a post I wrote a few years ago, the rules have probably changed a bit since then:

http://baexpats.org/topic/13428-opening-a-bank-account-as-a-foreigner-without-residency/

Back