opening sports bar in BA

whammy

Registered
I know there are a few cool (american style) sports bars in BA but the market is far from cornered. Im thinking of moving to BA and would love to start a sports bar. With the low cost of real estate and the large amount of American expats and tourists, Im sure business would be good. Now, with that said, what kinds of things am I ignorant about that might effect my business. Can any of you give me ideas?

for instance, I read this thread and it talked about shoeless joes el alamo shutting down because of not paying off police or government officials (or whatever)
http://baexpats.org/entertainment/2563-sports-bars-ba-2.html

is this the kind of stuff I would have to deal with? any thing else about owning a business in BA that any of you think I might need to know about?

thanks

I think you are reading very old information. That bar never closed, it is actually open. Real estate is not cheap ( it is more expensive that many places in the US ), prices in pesos and dollars are much higher due to inflation in both pesos and dollars. I would suggest checking out all of these in person in BA.

It's very difficult to know what to say that hasn't been said in this forum countless times before (use the search function here under some basic terms if you haven't done so already) without knowing what background and experience you are bringing to the project. If you could briefly outline in which international cities you have already run successful sports bar businesses and what so far have been your experiences in Buenos Aires, it would be a big help.

The Northside Bar, which to me was an absolutely fantastic american sports bar just went out of business.

PhilipDT said:
The Northside Bar, which to me was an absolutely fantastic american sports bar just went out of business.

Damn! that bar looked awesome, I was excited about having many-a-good-night there when I get to BA.

yeh I have done alot more research and im definitely keeping my money out of any kind of business or real estate stuff in BA. I might invest in some Argentine companies that trade through the NYSE (there is a bank and a natural resource company that are still in a huge growing phase and pay good dividends) but thats about it...hell, i even doubt ill do that.

Back