Openings: Live Closed Captioning For Native English Speakers

Kevin_CG

Registered
Buenos días, everyone!

First off, please let me express my gratitude for this forum and all the helpful members! I moved to Buenos Aires a few months ago and this forum was my go-to resource for many, many questions and inquiries. This is my first post, but certainly not my first time on the forum, so a big muchas gracias for the wonderful site, administrators, and generous folks on here!

Hopefully I, too, can now be of assistance here, as I would like to get the word out there about job openings at the company I work for here in Buenos Aires. A very unique opportunity that I certainly did not expect when I landed in this city!

I work as part of a new team for a premier audiovisual multimedia and telecommunications company. They do closed captioning, subtitling, voice writing, and more for companies and television channels across South America and Spain. And in the past few months, we have started an English team for live closed captioning in partnership with NCI (National Captioning Institute) in the U.S.

As such, we are looking for native speakers of English to join our team in providing live closed captioning for U.S. programs and channels. All work is conducted in English; no Spanish skills are necessary.

Using the latest in voice recognition technology, you will receive paid training en route to becoming a live captioner. I have done programs from C-Span to local news in Raleigh, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Portland, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, among many others.

I'll be honest, the training is rigorous. Not much else in life can prepare you for the demands of voice writing. It's a fast-paced endeavor which requires fairly intense focus.

If you are American, have a solid understanding of English grammar, and are dedicated to success, you will find this position uniquely challenging and rewarding. I personally love that I get to keep up with news and politics from "home" while living here.

For any questions or comments, feel free to email us at the info below, and I will certainly check back here as always!

For inquiries or to request an interview, please send your CV to: [email protected]

Cheers!
Kevin

Can we get an idea of the range of salary? I went to an interview for one of these places, and they were offering $6,000/month for 40 hours a week... and that was AFTER a 4 month "training" period where you got paid no benefits and $1000 less.

I have a question too! Is If applicants don't already have a dni, will they be assisted in obtaining a visa through the company? And if so, how will they be paid in the interim before they can obtain an argentine bank account? Thanks for your reply!

One of my friends worked at a captioning company (I am sure this is the same one) in Coughlan. They paid like $15 pesos an hour. Go elsewhere.....

I actually have a second question. I've noticed that your company has posted here several times in the past year - once in May and again in October. Is the turnover rate high? If you've just begun this new partnership, why are all the job postings basically the same?

Apologies if this seems rude or suspicious, but there are lots of companies in Argentina that don't pay or otherwise scam expat applicants, especially those who aren't bilingual and thus have limited employment options here.

Thanks for all the interest! This is fantastic to see the questions!!

Davidglenn77, while not doubting you friend's experience, this must be a different captioning company, as Caption Group does not pay by the hour. It is a monthly salary wage with benefits. And we are located in Colegiales.

Probablynot, thanks for the great questions! It's funny you mention the other postings, as this is how I actually found this job, too! But I thought to post here with my own personal touch to the ad. In response to the turnover, several people have come and gone for personal reasons. And yes, due to the nature of the work, it is not for everyone so it didn't work out for just a couple of people. We are a small team looking to grow!

I completely understand your comment, and you certainly did not come across as rude. Rather smartly asking needed questions! I can personally vouch that Caption Group has always paid me and paid me on time. I very much feel valued as an employee.

And your other question, I do not have a DNI yet either. But yes, they will assist you in the process of the work visa! I am currently going through this.

imyr, I hear your pain. But don't worry, I wouldn't get out of bed for 40 hours a week and 6,000 ;)
Full time pay will be around 10,000 pesos per month. Training will be for 2-4 months prior to that, which will be paid. In depth info about pay can be given in an interview with my team leaders.

I hope that helps! I look forward to hearing back from you all and others!
Cheers,
Kevin

Not a problem!! Hope I can give back a little help. Let me know anything else I may assist with! We look forward to receiving some emails with CV and interview inquiries :)

Happy job hunting!!

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure if you received my email, but I'm interested in applying for the position that you've posted. My name is Josh and I'm from Canada, and I'm moving to Buenos Aires in a few months. Are you still accepting applications?

Regards,
Josh

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure if you received my email, but I'm interested in applying for the position that you've posted. My name is Josh and I'm from Canada, and I'm moving to Buenos Aires in a few months. Are you still accepting applications?

Regards,
Josh

Hey, Josh! Apologies for the delay here. I am not running the application and interview process, but yes, I believe we are still accepting applications! Did you send your CV in? If so, I can check on the status for you. Appreciate your comment and interest! Spread the good word =)

Happy Easter, everyone!

Cheers!
Kevin

Back