Orbitz Purchases

syngirl

Registered
Has anyone had any experience booking a ticket on Orbitz with an Argentine credit card? Do they accept purchases from CCs from here? And does it take any longer for the purchase to go through and be confirmed than otherwise?

Also, if you buy a ticket on Orbitz can you still get your miles? And if you buy a ticket on them that is with "Multiple Carriers" what happens if one flight gets delayed and you miss the other? Are you screwed?

I'm just a bit gun-shy with buying through them after Mexicana's gone broke -- I know a lot of people just outright had their tickets refused even at other One World airlines and they ended up having to buy new tickets, so not sure that I trust buying through a consolidator like Orbitz now....

Thanks

A few answers for you. First off Orbitz is not a Consolidator they are a internet based travel agency there is a big difference. If you a miss a flight because of a delay in the previous flight you will be protected as long as they are both on the same ticket number which they will be if you buy them with one transaction through Orbitz. The Carrier that caused the delay is responsible for making sure you get to your destination. Yes you will are still eligible for miles if you buy from a online travel agent(Orbitz). I can't answer the question on using an arg card on Orbitz as I always use my US cards, but I woulddnt think it would be a problem. And by the way Orbitz refunded there customers for canceled Mexicana tickets.

Agree with what has been said. It is a single reservation and a single itinerary number, you will be OK.
Good Luck

Thanks very much, makes me feel more secure booking -- looks like they take Argentine credit cards as well, so I'll just have to find out if there's any hidden fees / delays for using one....

What you can do is find the best price on Orbitz and then find that price on the airline's own web site, if you have any doubt. For instance, if Orbitz says the best price/time for you is through American, then 9 times out of 10 you can find the exact same ticket on American Airline's web site. I've done this several times.

Yeah this time Orbitz won't necessarily be a better deal but it offers us better departure / arrival times by routing us through Santiago -- Copa's site has BA-Panama flights sold out on Saturday, but Santiago is not, so with Orbitz they can get us a good deal on BA-Santiago-Panama with a combo of LAN + Copa -- who aren't partners as far as I know, hence my concern over what happens if there's a flight delay, would we end up stranded and having to buy a ticket ourselves since we didn't book through the airline.

syngirl said:
would we end up stranded and having to buy a ticket ourselves since we didn't book through the airline.

No, like an earlier poster said, as long as they are purchased as a single ticket, you are protected.

The airline that caused the delay will be responsible for getting you to your final destination. For instance, if LAN didn't get you to Santiago in time, it would be their problem to get you to Panama, whether that's on a different flight on Copa, a LAN flight or by them signing over your ticket to another airline all together.

I like Orbitz - but can usually find more choices / slightly better prices at Travelocity.com (not sure why -- as both are travel agencies that are owned in all or part by airlines, I think)

I have never had a problem with either -- and have used Traveocity dozens of times and Orbitz a handful....

Quick question all: I have to fly from NYC to BA in mid-October (anytime after the 18th) and am tracking roundtrip prices on LAN and Delta. So far they are $1110 at LAN and $1050 at Delta. I was thinking about waiting 21 and 14 days before takeoff to maximize fare economy, but I wonder if I'm being too greedy. Is it unreasonable to hope for $800 or $900 airfare?

Coco said:
Quick question all: I have to fly from NYC to BA in mid-October (anytime after the 18th) and am tracking roundtrip prices on LAN and Delta. So far they are $1110 at LAN and $1050 at Delta. I was thinking about waiting 21 and 14 days before takeoff to maximize fare economy, but I wonder if I'm being too greedy. Is it unreasonable to hope for $800 or $900 airfare?

If you don't mind a stop in Panama City and the fact that it's COPA, there's a fare for most weekdays around that time JFK-PTY-EZE for $797 including taxes.

You can engineer a nice layover of about 12 hours on the way back, enough time to go and see Panama City (it's only about 15 miles from the airport).

If that doesn't float your boat, you're not likely to find much cheaper than the prices you mentioned by holding out. If it were me, I'd take the AA non-stop, which is only a few bucks more than those prices at $1157 all in.

Back