Out of ordinary advise?

JoeKelly711

Registered
Hello from Florida!!

We are planning to move to Buenos Aires in November. I have a few questions.

Any advice on return flight rescheduling? It seems pretty expensive, any loop holes?
Any recommendations for TEFL courses?

Any random advice people normally don't think about asking?

And Peanut Butter... any one know where to find any?? :)

Any help would be great!!

So EXCITED!!:eek:

I can recommend the Oxford Seminars TEFL certification (in the U.S). It's not expensive, it's quick and you learn a lot: http://www.oxfordseminars.com/Pages/Teach/teach_dates.php

You can find peanut butter here, it's just comes in a smaller jars and it's more expensive.

My only advice would be to take as many Spanish classes as you can before you become busy with work (that's if you don't know Spanish already).

Good Luck

Some of this has been said before, but if you are moving here, and plan to cook at home a lot here are the items I would bring from home:
*measuring cups and spoons for dry measuring (flour, sugar, baking soda etc.)
*If you own a good set of stainless steel or Calphanon type pots/pans bring them
*Bring your entire spice rack, especially chilli powder and any other spices you might use for Tex-Mex type cooking
*Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chips for making homemade cookies mmmmm I miss those!

Peanut butter is becoming easier to find. Casa China at Arribeños 2173 in the heart of Chinatown, at the Belgrano "C" train station, carries several brands. I´ve been buying "Dame Mani". While it isn´t Jif, it isn´t bad. The extra chunky isn´t, but it´s good.
Coins are in short supply. When a grocery check out "professional" asks if you have coins...just say no.
The Buenos Aires Herald is daily English newspaper. I bet 75% of expats don´t know about it.
Movies cost less on Wednesdays.
The Bolivian women that sell produce on the sidewalks have better quality and maybe better prices than the "not so super" supermarkets.
Casa China (see first paragraph) is a unique food store by BA standards. While other markets in that area cater to Chinese food, this one is more international and has lots of healthy stuff.

bring good cotton towels and sheets....hard to find here and expensive! Cotton clothes as well...If you plan to be here for next Winter bring fleece for layering...jeans...sweaters..etc.

It's not so much the cold temps it's the high humidity that forces you to layer.

I agree 100% about bringing good spices, anything in the hot variety are a hard find here. Look in your cupboards now and if you have comfort food you can't live without bring it...once in a blue moon I need good old Kraft Mac & Cheese in the blue box...I have a few boxes stashed! Or something like wild rice...expensive here!!! Hit up Trader Joe's great price on their house brand...

Anything electronic is very overpriced here....bring an extra battery for your lap top for sure!

Okay...if one of you in the move is a woman...she needs to bring her "personal monthly" supply with her. IF she is okay with O.B. as her only selection then she's fine....and if she uses pads....bring them as the ones here are basically panty liners..
You asked and that is a biggy for women, trust me, I stock up every trip back to the states.

You guys are great! Thank you for the advise, my boyfriend is relieved about the peanut butter!! :) And I did not think about the "women's supply" issue. That IS very good advise. I am not a fan of the O.B. brand if they are what I think they are.

See you down there!

Hello

Just an information I live very close to Karatex they produce Cannon sheets and export them (also towels, all white linen) the quality is excellent they must have a web page like www.karatex the store is located on Santiago del Estero at half a block from Belgrano avenue
good luck

If you are the type that enjoys sending Christmas/holiday greeting cards, you should bring those from home. Another oddball thing...I like bringing Qtip brand q-tips because the ones here seem to have very little cotton on the tips. In the end, you will find that you can normally make do with what is available.

Back