Overseas Airline Tickets in One Payment no Cuotas

Rich One

Registered
Given the lack of dollars, the Central Bank prohibited sales on credit cards of overseas Airline tickets in installments
To discourage tourism to other countries and the outflow of foreign currency, travel agencies may not offer installments for tourist services abroad

Will mostly affect low middle class inmigrantes that travel to neighboring countries for the holidays. People flying to Orlando perhaps can afford to pay in one payment..?

Will mostly affect low middle class inmigrantes that travel to neighboring countries for the holidays. People flying to Orlando perhaps can afford to pay in one payment..?
I’m not so sure. Most people from here going to Orlando (or even Europe) buy via online travel agencies that offer cuotas. $50.000 to Brazil, maybe but $1.000.000 on flights for a family of four to Miami or Madrid ... that exceeds most all credit card limits to even be able to perform the transaction all in one go!!

Didn’t the dictadura do a similar “CEPO viajar” back in the 80s when it too was running out of dollars?

Anyways this is a pretty nasty blow to travel agents, airlines and others in the outbound tourism ecosystem .... just after PAÍS tax, COVID, brecha 100% and now this... can’t see this leading airlines to add / sustain more flight frequencies or bring prices down (when typically Argentines make up 70%+ of all departures)

Last edited:
I’m not so sure. Most people from here going to Orlando (or even Europe) buy via online travel agencies that offer cuotas. $50.000 to Brazil, maybe but $1.000.000 on flights for a family of four to Miami or Madrid ... that exceeds most all credit card limits to even be able to perform the transaction all in one go!!

Didn’t the dictadura do a similar “CEPO viajar” back in the 80s when it too was running out of dollars?

You are correct my credit limit on local CC is $50,000 pesos...! may be if I behave they increase my limit...!

It seems that card issuers went one step further and axed cuotas on all types of trips as they are unable to tell if a purchase is for international or domestic, so better be on the safe side thus throwing the domestic tourism its trying to save under the bus with it.

Typical government incompetence - how about a CEPO on public salaries and expenses instead?

The price of the ARG passport tramite just went up from 1.500 (USD 7.5) to 4.000 (USD 20). I applied last week and paid just 1.500.

I have to make two trips to Europe in Jun / Jul. Prices are much higher now than same time last year (which is understandable given the current Covid situation and probably still below normal flight capacity).

What I noticed though: when the prices are shown in ARS, they are much cheaper than in EUR/USD. Is this really the case or is Google flights just translating to the official rate. Do i get a better deal if i go to a local travel agency here (i probably havent been to one in decades).

What I noticed though: when the prices are shown in ARS, they are much cheaper than in EUR/USD. Is this really the case or is Google flights just translating to the official rate. Do i get a better deal if i go to a local travel agency here (i probably havent been to one in decades).

Google Flights uses the official exchange rate, change your country on the left side bar to United States (or a European country, whichever you're from) and you'll see the actual cost if you pay with your card(s) back home.

If you want to see the cost of flights in pesos, either use the airline's Argentine site, or Despegar.

Also consider flying from Chile: my husband and I are planning a trip to the Caribbean and it's 3x more expensive to fly from here (not direct, still with 1 or 2 stops) than it is to buy tickets to Santiago and fly from there, same with a conference I'm looking to attend this (northern) summer in Europe.

Typical K Economics: the planes have to be close to full both ways, otherwise there's no reason to fly, and since people here can't afford to due to price/no cuotas, and the ones that can are traveling to Chile or Uruguay and then on to their destination, less tourists come to Argentina, flights go up, cycle repeats. Gracias Alberto!

Is one waving a red flag paying for flights online with a foreign CC? Does anyone check for unpaid taxes?

PS: I've been told that airlines quote prices in ARS at the official rate (possibly with a risk surcharge as well as the various local taxes), and that taking ARS cash exchanged at the Blue rate to take to the airline office and pay can result in worthwhile savings. Maybe Quilombo is motivated to check (I'll be doing that in April or so). Otherwise taking the ferry across the river to Montevideo (2 hours) is also a possibility.

Back