overstayed visa but need brasilian visa..

penne.rigate

Registered
is anyone aware if it is possible to pay the overstayed visa fee at migraciones? so i am able to get a brasilian visa

any ideas would help..

Your Argentine immigration status should have no effect on getting a Brazillian visa. I got one with a tourist visa that had been expired for 12 months.

the woman at the brasilian consulate told me she could not give me it if it was expired..not sure where to go from here, suppose to leave on monday

You should probably reschedule your trip. There's no way you're leaving on Monday if they didn't take your passport today.

Did the consular officer tell you specifically that you'd just need to pay the fine? If that's the case, you'll need the habilitación de salida, which you can get at the Dirección Nacional de Migraciones in Retiro. You could also pay it at Jorge Newbery, Ezeiza, and probably even the BuqueBus terminal. However, an habilitación de salida won't clear up your immigration status. You'd need an extension (prórroga), and given that you've overstayed, that's impossible now.

If you're "living" here, you'll need to leave the country, come back, and get a new stamp. If you're just traveling around, I'd consider making a stop in Montevideo, Uruguay or another capital city to get the visa.

With that said, I'd expect to be hassled, if I were you. Even with a new visa, overstaying a visa in Argentina doesn't help the consular officer at the Brazilian consulate determine with relative certainty that you won't overstay the Brazilian visa. Also, when you get to Brazil, I'd expect to be hassled by immigration. Make sure you are able to show the police officer your hotel address, sufficient funds to support yourself during your trip, etc. If they ask for this information and you can't show it, they will deport you. It's never happened to me. It seems random, but it's happened before.

Brazil has become more anal about visa's, especially if you are from the us or au or other country that requires brazilian citizens to get visas before travel and dont make it easy.

They might give you a visa here at the embassy, but that doesnt mean in brazil they will let you in, depending on the person you get at the brazilian immigration counter they can make your life easy or not just because you overstayed here.

However the chances are you will have no problems, but just be aware you may end up being detained at the airport waiting for your flight out of brazil.

As stated above your only option to get your arg immigration status sorted out is to leave the country. Once you tourist visa or other visas have expired immigration wont extend unless you were in the process of extending/applying before it expired, and i guess you have just overstayed and done nothing.

If you have overstayed your 90 day visa by less than 30 days you can extend it at migraciones, but you will have to pay an extra $150 pesos ($450 total). In any case you can only extend your visa once at migraciones.

If you have overstayed by more than 30 days you will be charged the $300 peso fine and have ten days to leave the counrty. If you don't leave within ten days you will be subject to another overstay fine when you do leave, even if it is on day eleven.

It's probably already too late to go to migracions in Retiro today and even if you got there in the next hour they probably would not give you a turno. If you can pay at the BuQueBus terminal and don't actually leave the country you may only have ten days to do so, but you won't be able to go to Brazil until you have a visa from their embassy (if that's the only place to get one). If they do require a current Argentina visa, Bradley is correct; you will have to (at least) go to Uruguay to get one and you probably won't be going to Brazil on Monday...unless joemama has a secret to share.

It sounds like joemama was lucky or the policy has changed since his/her trip to Brazil...or?

steveinbsas said:
It sounds like joemama was lucky or the policy has changed since his/her trip to Brazil.

One thing about my trip that was a little different was that I went to Iguazu do to it. I basically had to go on a last minute trip to Brazil and in BA would have had to wait 2 weeks for the appointment. In Iguazu they process visas in 24 hours. They are also in a tiny office and were SUPER nice.

This was about 6 months ago.

Good luck.

davonz said:
Brazil has become more anal about visa's, especially if you are from the us or au or other country that requires brazilian citizens to get visas before travel and dont make it easy.
yes it`s a eye for an eye sort of policy

I apologize in advance but I just can't resist: So you have a trip to Brazil on Monday and you decided to get around to dealing with this on the Friday before? You must be very very young. :D

Back