Overstaying Fee in Argentina

Yeah I tried at Aeroparque and they denied me too. So I went to Retiro. Part of living here is navigating around the bullsh/t.

How so did they deny you? Was this the day of your flight that you tried to pay the fee?
I will be flying out of Aeropuerto Ezeiza so I can only hope that my experience will be easier and go smoothly.

How so did they deny you? Was this the day of your flight that you tried to pay the fee?
I will be flying out of Aeropuerto Ezeiza so I can only hope that my experience will be easier and go smoothly.

I tried to go to Aeroparque a few days before my flight, as to avoid any possibility of missing my flight. The guy just said I couldn't do it...

Probably 95% of the time Ezeiza will be fine, but I decided to go to retiro because it was worth it to avoid any possibility of missing my flight. Getting to Retiro isn't too hard. It is a train & bus station, after all.

I tried to go to Aeroparque a few days before my flight, as to avoid any possibility of missing my flight. The guy just said I couldn't do it...

Probably 95% of the time Ezeiza will be fine, but I decided to go to retiro because it was worth it to avoid any possibility of missing my flight. Getting to Retiro isn't too hard. It is a train & bus station, after all.
Okay, I see. I will see about going to Retiro otherwise I will likely just arrive early to the airport and pay there on the day of my departure. Thanks so much for your responses

There is a very good reason to be sure to pay the overstay fee prior to check in, but as you read this keep in mind the current fee for an overstay of less than two years is still $4500 pesos...if paid prior to check in. If they check you in and you haven't paid the fee, all hell will break lose when you go through migraciones on your way to the gate.

Jul 25, 2018

Daniel82 said:
Update- I left EZE today and the fine is now 15,000 pesos. Moreover I forgot exactly at what point during the process I would be told to pay and apparently the girl who checked me in didn’t notice (I speak Rioplatense Spanish fluently) and once I got to the control de pasaportes, I was summoned to a special room where the chief of airport police made me sign a document stating I owe Argentina 15.000 AR...

Daniel82 said:
I can either pay upon my return (weird? I assume it’s pay whatever the fine is at that point in time) or have someone pay it for me at Banco Nación but they let me go without paying after signing this IOU type document.

Daniel82 said:
The document they made me sign and gave me a copy of, says 15,000 pesos, i overstayed by a few months- and they also made me sign a document saying the airline didn’t do it when I checked in- honestly Ive never done it before so didn’t know this was an airline thing, and the police chief seemed more pissed off and delighted to ‘grab’ the airline for the mistake—- and slap them with that 300.000 peso fine than out for me.

In any case, I will indeed pay it now.

Update/Help! -the ‘carta de notificación de deuda’ I was given at Ezeiza has the generic link to the migraciones page as a reference of where I can pay this fine online (www.migraciones.gov.ar) , however once on this site, I don’t see anywhere to go to pay this fee online as it states I can do on this notification. There is also no reference/incident number, except for my passport number, the day it occurred, Ezeiza and the signature and stamp for the director of migraciones at Ezeiza.

The above quotes are from the thread: Argentina extended Visa option?

https://www.baexpats.org/threads/argentina-extended-visa-option.40204/post-358200

As the airline was fined $300,000 pesos for the oversight, for that reason I imagine this is far less likely to happen now.

There is a very good reason to be sure to pay the overstay fee prior to check in, but as you read this keep in mind the current fee for an overstay of less than two years is still $4500 pesos...if paid prior to check in. If they check you in and you haven't paid the fee, all hell will break lose when you go through migraciones on your way to the gate.

Jul 25, 2018

Daniel82 said:
Update- I left EZE today and the fine is now 15,000 pesos. Moreover I forgot exactly at what point during the process I would be told to pay and apparently the girl who checked me in didn’t notice (I speak Rioplatense Spanish fluently) and once I got to the control de pasaportes, I was summoned to a special room where the chief of airport police made me sign a document stating I owe Argentina 15.000 AR...

Daniel82 said:
I can either pay upon my return (weird? I assume it’s pay whatever the fine is at that point in time) or have someone pay it for me at Banco Nación but they let me go without paying after signing this IOU type document.

Daniel82 said:
The document they made me sign and gave me a copy of, says 15,000 pesos, i overstayed by a few months- and they also made me sign a document saying the airline didn’t do it when I checked in- honestly Ive never done it before so didn’t know this was an airline thing, and the police chief seemed more pissed off and delighted to ‘grab’ the airline for the mistake—- and slap them with that 300.000 peso fine than out for me.

In any case, I will indeed pay it now.

Update/Help! -the ‘carta de notificación de deuda’ I was given at Ezeiza has the generic link to the migraciones page as a reference of where I can pay this fine online (www.migraciones.gov.ar) , however once on this site, I don’t see anywhere to go to pay this fee online as it states I can do on this notification. There is also no reference/incident number, except for my passport number, the day it occurred, Ezeiza and the signature and stamp for the director of migraciones at Ezeiza.

The above quotes are from the thread: Argentina extended Visa option?

https://www.baexpats.org/threads/argentina-extended-visa-option.40204/post-358200

As the airline was fined $300,000 pesos for the oversight, for that reason I imagine this is far less likely to happen now.

Thank you a bunch! I nearly passed out at the thought of needing to pay $15,000 pesos and I will indeed do what I can to avoid being confronted in a private room. Great, so just to be clear, the fee is surely only $4500 pesos I just need to ensure to pay it prior to check in correct?

Great, so just to be clear, the fee is surely only $4500 pesos I just need to ensure to pay it prior to check in correct?

Correct! As you enter the airport and approach the check in area for your airline you should be "intercepted" by a uniformed airline employee who will ask to see your ticket and your passport. This is the step at which you will be directed to pay the $4500 overstay fee at the bank at the airport.

Don't worry. You'll be fine!

Correct! As you enter the airport and approach the check in area for your airline you should be "intercepted" by a uniformed airline employee who will ask to see your ticket and your passport. This is the step at which you will be directed to pay the $4500 overstay fee at the bank at the airport.

Don't worry. You'll be fine!

Perfect! Thank you (and everyone else) so much for your prompt and informative responses, I feel much more at ease now! :)

You can also pay it within 10 days before you leave at the migraciones office at the Retiro train station. It's upstairs. At least as of 2 years ago you could.
Hello

I need to pay the fine also. So I need to bring my passport n money at immigration office at RETIRO within 10 days before departure?

I look forward to hearing from you
Thank you in advance ~

Hello

I need to pay the fine also. So I need to bring my passport n money at immigration office at RETIRO within 10 days before departure?

I look forward to hearing from you
Thank you in advance ~

Just pay at the airport prior to departure.

Back