OverStaying in argentina due to COVID-19

Sorry if this has been covered in other threads but: is it possible to apply for residency on an expired tourist visa? Without leaving and getting a fresh entry stamp
yes -- if you entered before March 17, 2020.

No -- they are still extending for 30 days as Nomad pointed out.

In reading this more closely see in articulo 3 in the above link the text “con excepción del artículo 24 inciso a) subcategoría turista”. I’m concerned about “con exception”. Is that actually saying people who arrived on a tourist visa in the relevant period are not included in these extensions and are in fact overstaying? Here’s the complete text of articulo 3:

ARTÍCULO 3°- Prorrógase desde el 22 de marzo de 2021 y por el plazo de TREINTA (30) días corridos, la vigencia de todos aquellos visados consulares otorgados en los términos de los artículos 22, 23 y 24 de la Ley N° 25.871, con excepción del artículo 24 inciso a) subcategoría turista, cuyo plazo para ingresar al país hubiera vencido entre el 17 de marzo de 2020 y la fecha de publicación de la presente medida, sin que se hubiera perfeccionado el mismo.

In reading this more closely see in articulo 3 in the above link the text “con excepción del artículo 24 inciso a) subcategoría turista”. I’m concerned about “con exception”. Is that actually saying people who arrived on a tourist visa in the relevant period are not included in these extensions and are in fact overstaying? Here’s the complete text of articulo 3:

ARTÍCULO 3°- Prorrógase desde el 22 de marzo de 2021 y por el plazo de TREINTA (30) días corridos, la vigencia de todos aquellos visados consulares otorgados en los términos de los artículos 22, 23 y 24 de la Ley N° 25.871, con excepción del artículo 24 inciso a) subcategoría turista, cuyo plazo para ingresar al país hubiera vencido entre el 17 de marzo de 2020 y la fecha de publicación de la presente medida, sin que se hubiera perfeccionado el mismo.
No you are reading it wrong. This applies only to consular visas issued before 17 March 2020.
Why are you so worried about overstaying? Overstaying in Argentina is not a crime it's an admin infringement.
If you entered on Argentina before March 17, 2020 visa free as a tourist you are okay. If you really want to stay long term get a residency.
If you end up overstaying just pay the fine at the airport the day of your flight and that's it. No one would care.

Ok, thanks for the correction. I have a DNI, but a friend who’s been here on a 90-day visa is heading to eze today. I’ve been telling her not to worry, based on what’s been posted here, but when she just asked me to send her the link I took the opportunity to misread it.....

Ok, thanks for the correction. I have a DNI, but a friend who’s been here on a 90-day visa is heading to eze today. I’ve been telling her not to worry, based on what’s been posted here, but when she just asked me to send her the link I took the opportunity to misread it.....
She ll be fine.

She ll be fine.
Tell your friend to go early. The Avianca window has no idea what the new declarations are and they have to take time to check with migration. And then I went to migration and the officer didn't know anything and had to check with HIS supervisor. All of this takes time....so go early.

Tell your friend to go early. The Avianca window has no idea what the new declarations are and they have to take time to check with migration. And then I went to migration and the officer didn't know anything and had to check with HIS supervisor. All of this takes time....so go early.
it's always a good idea to go early. BUT she should just have the Dispo printed to show at check in and that's it. If the agent insists they are right have THEM check with their supervisor don't bother going to migraciones yrself. It's their responsibility not yours. They cannot legally forbid you to leave. You can also pay the fine online once outside Argentina if there were to be one. In this case there isn't....

it's always a good idea to go early. BUT she should just have the Dispo printed to show at check in and that's it. If the agent insists they are right have THEM check with their supervisor don't bother going to migraciones yrself. It's their responsibility not yours. They cannot legally forbid you to leave. You can also pay the fine online once outside Argentina if there were to be one. In this case there isn't....
OH sure....someone is going take on the airline personal and take on the agents at migration. Dopey idea.

OH sure....someone is going take on the airline personal and take on the agents at migration. Dopey idea.
Lol. What do the agents at immigrations have to do with this? The ones that stamp your passport usually know and if they don't then you ask for the supervisor. I have done this on several occasions. Just be nice, explain and show them the Disposicion. Same thing with the checkin agent, if they don't budge ask for their supervisor, explain, show them the disposicion, works like a charm.

Back