Overstaying The 90 Day Visa

Benji

Registered
When I arrived in Argentina I knew I'd be staying a long time. Instead of crossing the border every 90 days I decided it would be less hassle and costly to overstay the visa and pay the fine once rather than a buque bus several times. It's now been 2 years!

On Wednesday I'm going to Jorge Newbury to travel to Brazil. Does anyone know if the fine still sits at $300?
Will any of this be effected by my longer than usual stay or that I have since received a new passport with no stamps inside?
I'm assuming all is recorded on their system.

Thanks in advance!

Last time I crossed the border to Brazil at Christmas it was $300 pesos. They made a bit of a fuss but it was ok in the end.

This issue has been discussed to death here, but I'm not so sure they have a "system" that logs all your entries and exits if you are just on a tourist visa. One of my old stamps was poorly stamped by immigrations when I entered and when I exited they took forever to examine the stamp and asking when I last arrived. It seems if they had the entry and exits accessible to them they wouldn't have relied on the stamp so much, but just looked it up on the computer. I've read that if you have a passport with no entry stamps you are automatically fined $300, because they don't know when you actually arrived and they just assume that you have overstayed your visa.

They most certainly do track your entries and exits via the computer. I saw my full history on one of their computers last year.

Interesting. I assumed they didn't because they had always looked so intently at my passport telling me to point out where my most recent stamp was located in my passport and when I last entered. I thought they would have looked at their computer for the info if they had it in front of them, but I believe you. Just speculation on my part due to my experience with entering and exiting the country with a crowded passport.

They most certainly do track your entries and exits via the computer. I saw my full history on one of their computers last year.

Despite all her faults , Argentina DOES track all your entry and exits via computer. I had a incorrectly dated stamp on entry , and went to Migraciones at Newberry to have it corrected , and received a print out stating the date is correct.

Bradlyhale is absolutely correct.

Wait. So you can overstay your visa by any length of time and pay only a fine of less than $100US?

No other consequences???

this thread has now offically become a bajo cero thread :)

from what i understand there may be some 'consequences' of fucking your tourist visa by overstaying ONLY if you are eventually going to apply for residency/citizenship in terms of degree of irregularity.

but it seems like the great debate on here- to visa run or not to visa run.

i am going to visa run only due to the ambiguity of 'irregularity' and my current intention of going legal one day. but as a chick who can show cleave and flirt (this worked every 90 days for multiple years, even dressed as janis joplin, when we had an expat/dead celebrity party/visa run/my birthday back in '06), its a risk im taking for the next year and a day until i can apply for citizenship.

Searching for very recent experience on this. Arrival in Mendoza was a few days before the tasa de reciprocidad took effect so we don't have receipts. Does anyone know, if we go to the Migraciones office to get another 90-day visa, if they will demand this of us? Also, are we sure that the fee at Migraciones (not the airport and not for overstaying) is 300 ars? I also saw somewhere that you need to renew 10 days before expiration of current visa. Anyone know if that is correct? Gracias.

So, I've overstayed my visa with the intention of paying the fine when I leave in June. However I'm planning on bussing to El Bolson next month, and I know there are police stops along the highways. When I went to Iguazu, we were stopped at one and our passports were checked, and an officer took me off the bus and told me that I had to leave and return to the country for another 90 day renewal. I was tired so I didn't really catch all of what she was saying, but in any case I continued on my way... but now that I've been here six months, I'm worried about any other kind of consequences at a police stop? Is there anything they can do other than just, give me a roadside lecture?

My dad is probably reading this and freaking out. Sorry Dad!

Back