Owning property in Buenos Aires

MariaBustos

Registered
Hola a todas y todos:
I am an Argentinean/American citizen (yes..two passports... born and raised in Buenos Aires, but have lived my adult life in the US). I have an apartment in Buenos Aires. Of course I pay ABL/expensas/ and other services BUT I have never filed taxes in Argentina because I have not worked here for over 30 years. Not sure what I have to do with my apartment. Do I need to declare it? Declare it as "bienes personales"? Do you know a lawyer and/or public notary that deals with people residing in the US?
I have my DNI and there I have my argentinean address.
HELP!!!!! hahahaha.
Thanks Maria

As I understand it, as a non-resident you are liable for 'bienes personales' (wealth tax). While a resident would only pay bienes personales over a certain property value threshold (starting at 18 million pesos), no such threshold applies to non-residents, so you'd pay 1.25% per year of its taxable value.

As I understand it, as a non-resident you are liable for 'bienes personales' (wealth tax). While a resident would only pay bienes personales over a certain property value threshold (starting at 18 million pesos), no such threshold applies to non-residents, so you'd pay 1.25% per year of its taxable value.
Need to be very careful here with the use of the terms "non-resident" and "resident" in this answer. When you write "non-resident" are you referring to the OPs apparent situation of not residing in Argentina (i.e., not physically living here for the last 30 years), or what we might presume is her status as "non-resident for tax purposes (due to her 30 years of not living outside Argentina). Similarly, with the term "resident".

Does it tell us something about AFIP's powers of investigation that it can't even track down and charge bienes personales on assets owned by Argentine nations and that are physically located in Argentina?

Back