Package Stuck At Customs/lost... Help

ecohen14

Registered
Hello everyone... my family sent me a package of items (I know it is not advisable but they did it anyways) that included some used clothing, letters and other household things.

The package was sent beginning of January, then February 14th it passed through BUENOS AIRES, and as of February 19th the USPS notification says: "Your item is being processed by customs in ARGENTINA."

It has been like this for about 2 weeks now, and I have not received a notification to pick up the package.

Is there anything I can do? Friends suggested calling Aduana directly and giving them the tracking number... does anyone know a number I could call? How do I know which Aduana office the package is at (should I assume Buenos Aires because that is the destination address?)?

My family already filed an insurance claim with USPS to receive money for "lost package", but I still want to try to collect it if possible!

Helppp!!

It very easily could be sitting in customs for months before you get a notification to pick it up. There is a huge backlog.

To give you an idea, I once had a package sent to me in June. I received it in November.

Also try the tracking on the Correo Argentino site. For Origin International-Destination National.

Use your US tracking number (it usually works). Sometimes you will get more accurate updates than sticking with the USPS. This works on outbound as well. Once my envelope hits Miami--I start tracking at USPS.

"It has been like this for about 2 weeks now" - jajajaja. Come back in 2 months. Or maybe 20.

Yes, the Correo website says the same thing. Says it is at Zona 1 Metro customs.

Possibly the worst thing they could have done was send used clothes, maybe depending on how many were sent. Used clothes is a big "black market" item in many parts of SA, as there are tons that are sent via charities to "the poor" from places like the US or Europe, and the people who are connected end up with the clothes and resell them to the public. There are laws against importing used clothes to "protect" clothing industries.

I just mention that as being a possible reason it's being held up.

The only thing I can think of to do is go the Correo Argentina in Retiro and try to find out more information. I don't know that this would do any good, but it's a starting point.

I wrote about this earlier, in 2014 I had a package sent to me.

It left China on December 31st, 2013 I think? It arrived in Arge around January 22nd,
and I got the notice, to pay the $54 ARS afip VAT and go collect it with all these forms
and such at the aduana facility in Ezeiza/Ciudad Evita on June 4th I think it was.

So, expect on average, 6 months.

One of the joys Argentina has to offer is a reliable and well thought out postage system. Manages to keep out all those evil overseas companies making things at better quality for cheaper prices, now the poor people here can buy Argentinian made t-shirts for 25-40 USD that fall apart after a few washes. Australia did a study on what effect import taxes for items under $1000 would cost and found that it would be more expensive setting up the systems and controls than the revenues received from the taxes. If Australia cannot do it efficiently what chance does Argentina have? The result is what you are seeing today. The wonderful workers at Aduana are of course happy and are definitely rejecting bribes and returning items not collected because they got 'lost' or 'banned' instead of keeping them for themselves and their buddies.

hi,

I have recived some documents.

Even they are struck with customs.

Recieved a postcard from correo argentina saying :-

"Previo a retirar su envio, debe cumplimentar los requisitos de la res. gral. nro. 3579 ( en pagina web afip)"

does anyone know what this implies?

Back