Palermo in November

Salsero

Registered
What a great forum!

I’m adventurous, educated and artistic, late 30s, grateful for a meaningful career that offers considerable independence. Travels to urban, cultural and wilderness areas around the globe are a regular source of inspiration. I love experiencing new places and making new friends!

I love Spanish-speaking countries and I'm checking out Buenos Aires with the intention of relocating in the near future. So I've rented a flat in Palermo SoHo starting in November and would appreciate your collective wisdom on the following:

— Meet-ups the first week of November?
— Acquiring a local cell phone (or outfitting mine from the US)?
— The best salsa clubs (and which nights to go)?
— Conversational Spanish classes or tutors in Palermo?
— The most important things a newcomer needs to know?

Many thanks in advance...

Eric

Cell phone:

They sell sim cards on the street near most the train/bus stations for 5 pesos, just make sure you bring an unlocked phone.

I think that you will like it here a lot because of the artistic community. My passion is photography and there are many things to photograph here and the artists that I know are incredibly helpful and friendly.

You can purchase a cheap used cell phone here for $20.00 and a sim card for $2.00 charge it at the local kiosco and you are ready to go. I have done it about a half a dozen times. I am using an unlocked Motorola V197 that I bought used off of Ebay over a year ago for $30.00.

I recommend VOS <the name of the school> ever since I started attending classes there. It is not in Palermo but is a 10 subway ride away and close to Recoleta. It is a great school in a nice, bright building (WiFi!)

The school is on the top floor of a four story building that is four blocks from the Tribulanes subway station. There is a lot of light and very little noise from the streets. WiFi and internet access has never been a problem for me and I use it every time that I am there with my Apple Touch.

They have conversational classes in the afternoons and it is a very artistic oriented school with free cultural events every week <movies and tango lessons>. They are all upbeat, energetic and always helpful. You can learn all about them on Twitter and Facebook.
http://www.vosbuenosaires.com

It is very easy to get around in the city as long as you have change <coins> for the buses, small demotion bills for the taxis and a Guia T which is a bus map of the city that will fit in your back pocket. There are just certain areas that you dont want to be in late at night but if you stay in the main barios <Palermo, Recoleta, Belgrano> you will be fine and like in any big city be aware of your surroundings.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other info.

John

Salsero said:
What a great forum!

I’m adventurous, educated and artistic, late 30s, grateful for a meaningful career that offers considerable independence. Travels to urban, cultural and wilderness areas around the globe are a regular source of inspiration. I love experiencing new places and making new friends!

I love Spanish-speaking countries and I'm checking out Buenos Aires with the intention of relocating in the near future. So I've rented a flat in Palermo SoHo starting in November and would appreciate your collective wisdom on the following:

Eric

Salsero said:
What a great forum!

Eric

Welcome! You'll have a wonderful time. Palermo Soho is a comfortable neighborhood to live in, and in November it should be nice and warm out :)

Regarding Spanish lessons, I definitely recommend private tutoring over larger classes. Much more bang for your buck: you get to speak almost the entire time, aren't slowed down by other students, and classes are designed around your individual needs and interests. Plus, private tutors generally work around your schedule and location. I study with Gabriela Ferrante and highly recommend her: www.gabrielaferrante.com.ar.

The most important things a newcomer should know? Well, here's a list of things I might've found helpful when I was a newbie:
1. Be aware of ATM and international-currency fees, as well as ATM withdrawal limits.
2. Monedas are precious, so try to save them for the bus
3. Domestic coffee and tea are generally terrible; you may want to bring a stash of your favorite brands
4. Restaurant hours are a little weird (many places are closed before 7pm, all day on Mondays, etc), and most charge a nonsensical "servicio de mesa." The doggie-bag concept is still a bit new, but they'll always give you a corcho so you can take home your half-drunk bottle of wine :)
5. www.comoviajo.com is helpful when trying to navigate the public transit system
6. Don't waste your time or money at Disco or Carrefour -- Hausbrot and L'epi have the best bread, verdulerias have the best produce, and New Garden Villares carries any spice, dried fruit, cereal grain, herb, or hair-care item I've needed
7. Keep your wallet and cell phone in your front pocket, and leave any expensive watches or jewelry at home. Always keep a hand (or at least an eye) on any bags or possessions you set down.
8. Devour all the sushi you can before you head down, because abstaining from sushi is better than Buenos Aires sushi ;)
9. NEVER pay a cab driver with a large bill. Ever (I have never gotten into a cab unless I had exact change, but the one time I needed three pesos back, I received a counterfeit two-peso note.) Also be careful using large bills at night in bars and restaurants.

JHB1216 said:
I think that you will like it here a lot because of the artistic community. My passion is photography and there are many things to photograph here and the artists that I know are incredibly helpful and friendly.

You can purchase a cheap used cell phone here for $20.00 and a sim card for $2.00 charge it at the local kiosco and you are ready to go. I have done it about a half a dozen times. I am using an unlocked Motorola V197 that I bought used off of Ebay over a year ago for $30.00.

I recommend VOS <the name of the school> ever since I started attending classes there. It is not in Palermo but is a 10 subway ride away and close to Recoleta. It is a great school in a nice, bright building (WiFi!)

The school is on the top floor of a four story building that is four blocks from the Tribulanes subway station. There is a lot of light and very little noise from the streets. WiFi and internet access has never been a problem for me and I use it every time that I am there with my Apple Touch.

They have conversational classes in the afternoons and it is a very artistic oriented school with free cultural events every week <movies and tango lessons>. They are all upbeat, energetic and always helpful. You can learn all about them on Twitter and Facebook.
http://www.vosbuenosaires.com

It is very easy to get around in the city as long as you have change <coins> for the buses, small demotion bills for the taxis and a Guia T which is a bus map of the city that will fit in your back pocket. There are just certain areas that you dont want to be in late at night but if you stay in the main barios <Palermo, Recoleta, Belgrano> you will be fine and like in any big city be aware of your surroundings.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other info.

John

- - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks John... very helpful indeed! I'll check out VOS and would love to see some of your photography sometime!

Eric
[email protected]

Cell phone:
They sell sim cards on the street near most the train/bus stations for 5 pesos, just make sure you bring an unlocked phone.

Umm, I would tell you that you do not have to purchase your SIM card "on the street" behind the bus station like you are on some watchlist....

The regular cell phone company branded stores (not even just authorized dealers but the company stores (such as Claro) will sell you a SIM card for $10 pesos, and you get a number, and a store to go back to in case there are any issues. Save your "on the street purchases" for something a bit more nefarious. And if the $5 pesos more is a deal-breaker, I would say BA might not be the town for you cost-wise.

starlucia said:
Welcome! You'll have a wonderful time. Palermo Soho is a comfortable neighborhood to live in, and in November it should be nice and warm out :)

Regarding Spanish lessons, I definitely recommend private tutoring over larger classes. Much more bang for your buck: you get to speak almost the entire time, aren't slowed down by other students, and classes are designed around your individual needs and interests. Plus, private tutors generally work around your schedule and location. I study with Gabriela Ferrante and highly recommend her: www.gabrielaferrante.com.ar.

The most important things a newcomer should know? Well, here's a list of things I might've found helpful when I was a newbie:
1. Be aware of ATM and international-currency fees, as well as ATM withdrawal limits.
2. Monedas are precious, so try to save them for the bus
3. Domestic coffee and tea are generally terrible; you may want to bring a stash of your favorite brands
4. Restaurant hours are a little weird (many places are closed before 7pm, all day on Mondays, etc), and most charge a nonsensical "servicio de mesa." The doggie-bag concept is still a bit new, but they'll always give you a corcho so you can take home your half-drunk bottle of wine :)
5. www.comoviajo.com is helpful when trying to navigate the public transit system
6. Don't waste your time or money at Disco or Carrefour -- Hausbrot and L'epi have the best bread, verdulerias have the best produce, and New Garden Villares carries any spice, dried fruit, cereal grain, herb, or hair-care item I've needed
7. Keep your wallet and cell phone in your front pocket, and leave any expensive watches or jewelry at home. Always keep a hand (or at least an eye) on any bags or possessions you set down.
8. Devour all the sushi you can before you head down, because abstaining from sushi is better than Buenos Aires sushi ;)
9. NEVER pay a cab driver with a large bill. Ever (I have never gotten into a cab unless I had exact change, but the one time I needed three pesos back, I received a counterfeit two-peso note.) Also be careful using large bills at night in bars and restaurants.

- - - - -

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! I love the details, especially where to buy bread and veggies. Awesome! I'll check out Gabriela's tutoring services and keep you posted.

Be well... Eric

A&A said:
Umm, I would tell you that you do not have to purchase your SIM card "on the street" behind the bus station like you are on some watchlist....

The regular cell phone company branded stores (not even just authorized dealers but the company stores (such as Claro) will sell you a SIM card for $10 pesos, and you get a number, and a store to go back to in case there are any issues. Save your "on the street purchases" for something a bit more nefarious. And if the $5 pesos more is a deal-breaker, I would say BA might not be the town for you cost-wise.

- - - - - - - -

Hilarious. Very much appreciate the advice! - Eric

A&A said:

Oh come on, if you need a sim card and you're in the area why not pick one up? You'll have choices from multiple different numbers and carriers and can grab one in a second. They're not stolen or anything (i don't think), and they're very common and easy to buy.

I'm not sure about your nefarious on street purchases but mine are usually headphones and socks. I leave the automatic weapons and contraband nuclear material for meetings in safehouses.

I am arriving in November as well, some time around the 15th. Would love to meet up to explore the city, etc. some time after that. Send me a message if that sounds like fun.

Back