Palermo

garryl

Registered
There are thousands, if not millions, of Italians from Sicily, moved to Buenos Aires to escape poverty or look for better future.
(now they do not feel good with 300% annual inflation)

Left their wonderful capital home town Palermo, Sicily. While enjoying their Argentine beef, mate, tango
and maybe hookers in La Boca in 1800s, they could not help to be nostalgic, named their nice and shitty barrios
all after the name of Palermo. Palermo Chico, Palermo Nuevo, Palermo Soho, Palermo Alto, Palermo Queen.

In US, many people moved to California from Oklahoma , to look for better opportunities.
They usually make fun of the backward situations in Oklahoma, and call themselves Okies. I wonder what portenos think of sicilians in Palermo or or vice versa ?

That really makes me want to explore original Palermo and check out the food there.

https://suitcasemag.com/travel/explore/five-places-feast-palermo-sicily/

I believe that Palermo Soho and Palermo Nuevo are the best neighbourhoods of Buenos Aires by far . You have the best lifestyle which includes all the parks of Libertador combined with the incredible options of cafes and restaurants . If if was not for Palermo I doubt I would have stayed so long in Buenos Aires .

actually there were lots and lots of italians who immigrated from other parts of Italy- mostly southern Italy, yes, but besides Palermo proper, there were people from Campania, and Calabria, and the standard Argentine slang for an Italian was Tano, which is short for somebody from Naples, not Palermo.
My guess is, like many city place names worldwide, "Palermo" was instead, coined by a realtor or a developer, not people who were from Sicily.

As a person of Sicilian lineage, and having lived here 10+ years and visited Sicily several times I've investigated this quite a bit. The short answer is not as many Sicilians immigrated here as in other places...most Italian that settled here are from other parts of Italy, where as a large portion of "Italians" in the US, particularly Chicago where I am were from Sicily.

This is obvious when one looks at the type of Italian food here in BA. Almost impossible to find typical Sicilian dishes and desserts like cannoli, sfogliatella, arancini, etc. Despite what many porteños will tell you there are few people here that really know the difference.

Most of the Sicilian's that migrated to Argentina were farmers from smaller villages, not from urban cities like Palermo. My Sicilian descent friends in the Provincia come from Trapani, and other smaller villages.

For an image of the farmers living conditions in Italy in 1870 must see the amazing movie . Takes place in Lombardia region

." The Tree of the Wooden Shoe" The life inside a farm in Italy at the end of the 19th century. Many poor country families live there, and the owner pays them by their productivity. One of the families has a very clever child.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077138/

I just want to know in which year Argentina forgot how to make pizza? Was there a shortage of tomato sauce or something?
Italian pizza does not use "tomato sauce" about 90% of the time. Thats american pizza you are thinking about.
Pizza in Naples or Rome almost never has tomato sauce.
In Rome, I like the pizza with a raw egg cracked on in just before it comes out of the oven, for example, or artichokes, or just 4 kinds of cheese. All, minus tomato sauce.

Back