Pasta!

Girino

Registered
I just wanted to brag about my fettuccine! ;)

sfbdpz.jpg

Probably infinitely better than ANYTHING pasta related one can buy at a store in Argentina.

I am just a beginner, this was my 4th attempt to make pasta, and I just discovered what a difference the egg can do.
These were made with those white-shell egg sold for cheap, and the outcome was very pale (I applied a filter to the picture above), then I bought huevos de campo with pink shell, their yolk was bright orange and the result was better, more alike in color to the pictures coming from Italy.
Also, here I noticed that ravioli are very pale, practically WHITE, whereas in Italy they are bright yellow.

do you have the machine to roll out or did you hand roll? which flour did you settle on in the end?

do you have the machine to roll out or did you hand roll? which flour did you settle on in the end?

I have a Kenwood kitchen machine, and before leaving I bought a pasta roller attachment (plain, like for lasagna) and also a cutting rolling-pin for tagliatelle, however after a little practice you can cut whatever width by hand (less precise and more time consuming, but totally doable once in a while...).

I tried to make ravioli only once, but I have to work on the filling. Plus I am not a big fan of ravioli, they are okay once in a while, just like lasagne, but not every week like they do here.
Anyway, there are several other attachment available for my kitchen machine to cut spaghetti, linguine, spaghetti quadrati, etc. but they sell for around USD 100/each.
And there is a whole other range of draw plates for the pasta press attachment, which to my understanding is not for pasta all'uovo, but for the other kind (semola + water), which is worked in the form of crumbs, as opposed to the dough of pasta all'uovo (flour + eggs).
I have that in the cheap plastic version sold in the UK but I am not yet satisfied with the result. I should practice a little more.

Hand rolling is doable but requires a large space and a large wooden board. With my pasta attachment I can make a lot of stuff: lasagna, fettuccine, linguine, farfalle, maltagliati, ravioli, etc. I am very happy with my choice but it is an expensive toy, with 9 degrees of thinness. I make my pasta with a degree of 8, so it means each piece of pasta requires about 10-13 passes! Doing that with a hand machine would be a hard work, doing that by hand would require a large space and a lot of practice.

I am learning to do this through the Internet, and this was the first time I obtained the correct thickness, color and consistency. I am very happy about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWzyfXUyZSI

About flour, whatever rubbish I find at Coto is okay for pasta (000 or 0000).
Though, the flour choice is critical when making raising doughs, such as for bread, pizza, panettone - for that I bought an organic flour which sold for ARS 18/kg, but I still have to try it. Doing pizza and bread takes considerably longer, and I still have to learn to make fermenting dough. That might do the trick.

I just wanted to brag about my fettuccine! ;)

sfbdpz.jpg

Sarafina Congratulations for your success the fettuccine look great...!!

For Board members that are not that experienced in the kitchen I recommend La Juvenil, for all your fresh Pasta needs and ready made sauces, empanadas, tartas, and breads in more than 10 locations.

http://www.la-juvenil.com.ar/productos.php

f7ddf59b942323c25634b2d8a436be44.jpg

I just found out that tomorrow, October 24th 2014 is the WORLD PASTA DAY 2014 and this year will be "celebrated" right here in Buenos Aires.
Unfortunately this "celebration"is a mere series of conferences by and for people working in the Pasta industry, which make it pointless, IMHO!

Anyway, some conferences are open to the public. See details here: http://www.worldpastaday2014.org/

Back