Paying bills?

Aztangogirl

Registered
What are we supposed to do about paying bills. I use Rapi Pago or Pago Facil. I use cash for everything. I don't have an Argentine bank account.

I believe all rquired bill paying is currently suspended and we are not required to pay rent or any other bills that
may come due. Perhaps there are others who know more than this, but we're in your situation, too and normally
pay everything through the Pago outlets, If they're closed there's nowhere to pay!

Call Correo Argentino and ask if they accept payments. Also try to open a Mercado Pago account with your International debit or credit card. If those cards are not accepted try to get a friend with a local debit card that will allow you to use it for Mercado Pago and offer to pay them in pesos. I used Mercado Pago this week to pay my Medical bill. It was very easy because there is a bar code scanner. You may have to open a Mercadolibre account also. You can try to apply for a Mercado Pago card.

Last edited:
I believe all rquired bill paying is currently suspended and we are not required to pay rent or any other bills that
may come due. Perhaps there are others who know more than this, but we're in your situation, too and normally
pay everything through the Pago outlets, If they're closed there's nowhere to pay!

30 de Marzo 2020
Rentals, utilities, fees and banks: what are the relief measures for consumers?

Through a decree, the Government determined that the companies that provide electricity, gas for networks and running water, fixed or mobile telephony and Internet and cable TV will not be able to provide for 6 months the suspension or cut of their services in case of default or non-payment of up to three invoices with due dates from March 1 (including users with notice of cut in progress).

This measure is only for people from the most vulnerable sectors. Among others, those who receive the Universal Child Allowance (AUH) and Pregnancy; enrolled in the Social Monotax; retirees, pensioners and workers who receive less than two Minimum Living and Mobile Wages ($ 33,750). It also includes micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) and work cooperatives.

Call Correo Argentino and ask if they accept payments. Also try to open a Mercado Pago account with your International debit or credit card. If those cards are not accepted try to get a friend with a local debit card that will allow you to use it for Mercado Pago and offer to pay them in pesos. I used Mercado Pago this week to pay my Medical bill. It was very easy because there is a bar code scanner.
Correo Argentino is not accepting any utility payments because that task is done thru RapiPago which is not functioning at this time.

What are we supposed to do about paying bills. I use Rapi Pago or Pago Facil. I use cash for everything. I don't have an Argentine bank account.

Utility bills can be paid through the local bank account of a friend/acquaintance. You provide the person with the account or payment reference numbers from Cable/Fibertel, Edesur/Edenor, AySA, Metrogas, Movistar Hogar (if you have a landline) and give the person the amount in pesos. He/she can deposit the pesos in their checking/savings account and pay your utilities online. The person can e-mail you the receipts generated by their banking website for each utility.

Last edited:
Utility bills can be paid through the local bank account of a friend/acquaintance. You provide the person with the account or payment reference numbers from Cable/Fibertel, Edesur/Edenor, AySA, Metrogas, Movistar Hogar (if you have a landline) and give the person the amount in pesos. He/she can deposit the pesos in their checking/savings account and pay your utilities online. The person can e-mail you the receipts generated by their banking website for each utility.
And how exactly do I get those pesos to a friend with a bank account? You are supposed to stay home.

And how exactly do I get those pesos to a friend with a bank account? You are supposed to stay home.

1. Teleportation
2. Cash deposit to a third party using an ATM machine
3. Promise to pay him later

Given current unfortunate circumstances, you may want to reconsider "I use cash for everything" approach, unless it is a life-long principal position.

It is probably impossible to get a physical debit card now, but I believe Mercado Pago accepts cash deposits via the Link ATM network. You should be able to create an account with DNI and cell phone number only.

I pay all my bills at Rapipago, too. Now that they're closed, I needed another option. Fortunately, I opened an account at Banco Ciudad a year ago. It's a free account in pesos for seniors that includes a Visa Debit card. All you need is a DNI and copies of three months of your US bank statements showing deposits from social security. Then you can use Home Banking on the account for paying bills. This requires getting a TOKEN number (segundo factor) for security with your cell phone. I don't have a cell phone, so I can't use Home Banking on my computer at home. I paid my bills in cash for years at Rapipago, but starting using the Visa Debit when it was accepted for payment and also withdrawing cash.

I signed up years ago to receive the Edesur and Metrogas bills through email. The Edesur bill is still delivered, but the Metrogas is not to save paper. I have paid both of these monthly bills on the respective websites with my Visa debit. The process is simple and payment is confirmed by email. Then I check my bank balance online where the debits are listed the same day.

Another option, for those with a Visa Debit from Banco Ciudad is using LINK PAGO. The Banelco and LINK ATMs are always open and available for bill payment. I paid last month's Movistar Hogar (ex Telefonica) this way for the first time. All I needed was my client number to enter and select the payment on the screen. I received a receipt for payment printed at the ATM.

Mercado Pago may be another option for those without a local bank account or credit/debit card.

Attachments

• DSCN4141 email from Edesur to pay the bill.JPG
    DSCN4141 email from Edesur to pay the bill.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN4143 email confirmation of payment.JPG
    DSCN4143 email confirmation of payment.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN4145 details of payment in English.JPG
    DSCN4145 details of payment in English.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 4
Back