Paying "expensas" by wire transfer from US bank?

Kulgata

Registered
I'm now unable to return and need to pay "expensas", I don't want them to build up. I have no Arg. bank a/c. Money transfers (Xoom, Western Union etc.) are not an option. Tried to explore with my consorcio the use of Mercado Pago (I use it to pay all my bills seamlessly) but it was a pass. In terms of payments I'm left with one option: a cable transfer. So, has anyone been successful in paying your expensas by way of a cable transfer from a US bank to the Arg. Bank where the "consorcio de propietarios" account resides (BBVA in my case)? Amount transferred will be in $US for the equivalent amount required. I assume the amount of the dollar transfer gets converted to Arg.$ at the official rate once it reaches BBVA. Fees involved? Also, tried multiple times to call BBVA to get guidance but they never answer the phone.
Any help as to your personal experience or feasibility will be much appreciated!

I'm now unable to return and need to pay "expensas", I don't want them to build up. I have no Arg. bank a/c. Money transfers (Xoom, Western Union etc.) are not an option. Tried to explore with my consorcio the use of Mercado Pago (I use it to pay all my bills seamlessly) but it was a pass. In terms of payments I'm left with one option: a cable transfer. So, has anyone been successful in paying your expensas by way of a cable transfer from a US bank to the Arg. Bank where the "consorcio de propietarios" account resides (BBVA in my case)? Amount transferred will be in $US for the equivalent amount required. I assume the amount of the dollar transfer gets converted to Arg.$ at the official rate once it reaches BBVA. Fees involved? Also, tried multiple times to call BBVA to get guidance but they never answer the phone.
Any help as to your personal experience or feasibility will be much appreciated!
Forget it. It is complicated for the consorcio to get the money. They have to fill an on line formulary for AFIP that are nightmare where you have to submit the invoices, contracts and so on. If the reason you get the mony is not covered, forget it.

I looked into this at one point. The bank is Patagonia. The fee was huge: as much as the monthly expensas itself.

Many of us have this same problem. I, unfortunately also bank with BBVA, and they NEVER pick up the phone, as has been your experience. I even sent a friend to implore the branch manager to give me a phone number where I could call so I could somehow talk to someone. The manager said their phones are always answered. Total and complete lie.

The solution I found for this problem was relatively simple. I found a friend in BA that has an account in the US, and I deposit dollars into his US account via Zelle and he deposits the equivalent pesos in my BBVA account. From there I transfer to the consorcio. YOu may have to find someone to actually walk into the branch to make the payment or deposit the amount in an ATM.
Hope this suggestion helps and good luck dealing with this unnecessary problem thanks to the incredible regulatory nuisance in Argentina.

Forget it. It is complicated for the consorcio to get the money. They have to fill an on line formulary for AFIP that are nightmare where you have to submit the invoices, contracts and so on. If the reason you get the mony is not covered, forget it.

Thank you bajocero2 for this reply. I suspected that there is an amazing amount of red tape behind the scenes that discourages consorcios from allowing this type of transaction. Pretty insane considering that I WANT TO PAY.
If the SOURCES of funds are all cleared and validated, shouldn't they make it EASY to make payments and WELCOME them?? Isn't that how business/capitalism works? Not holding my breath.

I looked into this at one point. The bank is Patagonia. The fee was huge: as much as the monthly expensas itself.
Thank you for your reply Alby. You're right. I also talked to several banks in BA and got the impression that they are the Wild West of fees and miscellaneous charges, with no customer service.

Many of us have this same problem. I, unfortunately also bank with BBVA, and they NEVER pick up the phone, as has been your experience. I even sent a friend to implore the branch manager to give me a phone number where I could call so I could somehow talk to someone. The manager said their phones are always answered. Total and complete lie.

The solution I found for this problem was relatively simple. I found a friend in BA that has an account in the US, and I deposit dollars into his US account via Zelle and he deposits the equivalent pesos in my BBVA account. From there I transfer to the consorcio. YOu may have to find someone to actually walk into the branch to make the payment or deposit the amount in an ATM.
Hope this suggestion helps and good luck dealing with this unnecessary problem thanks to the incredible regulatory nuisance in Argentina.
Thank you for your suggestion riculivi. I may be forced to go that route. Crazy convoluted structure to make a payment. They need to add doing three somersaults. Just doing some research right now I found out that Mercado Pago under the "pago mis cuentas" tab, lists MANY BA consorcios that have adhered to this form of collecting payments of expensas. That is a ray of hope. Will look into it further. Thanks again!

Banking in Argentina is the single most difficult thing to do that I can think of. (And if it is not, what is?)

Something so easy (The simple movement of money.) in other countries is a major roadblock here. And this is probably the single greatest item on a long list that keeps Argentina in the dark ages. The poor banking system, it's lack of functionality is a damper on the economy and it's development.

I pay them using Transferwise, it works like charm. They use a local bank (BBVA, I think) for the actual payment to the consorcio, so the consorcio doesn't even know I am paying from abroad. It costs just 1-2 dollars (it depends on the transferred amount).

Anyone need help with bring usd to arg..i guess i can help

Back