Paying Rent In US Dollars

cruizes

Registered
I have been here for about 10 months but starting to have some trouble with my landlord. Does anyone know the actual law, if there is one, about landlords demanding US dollars for rent here? Since the A$ is the currency you would think that this would be the currency that you would pay rent with. How can you legally demand a currency that is not your local tender currency? Also for the landlords that do accept A$ I have found that they want to charge you the rate the bank would charge to buy US dollars. Is this legal? I really doubt if they run to the bank to buy US dollars because they need the pesos to cover expenses etc.

cruizes said:
I have been here for about 10 months but starting to have some trouble with my landlord. Does anyone know the actual law, if there is one, about landlords demanding US dollars for rent here? Since the A$ is the currency you would think that this would be the currency that you would pay rent with. How can you legally demand a currency that is not your local tender currency? Also for the landlords that do accept A$ I have found that they want to charge you the rate the bank would charge to buy US dollars. Is this legal? I really doubt if they run to the bank to buy US dollars because they need the pesos to cover expenses etc.

What's the big deal? If he wants dollars, get dollars. It is very common for people in Argentina to change pesos for dollars. The peso has traditionally been unstable so they prefer dollars. I don't know if the owner can legally demand dollars but he could have demanded that you have one or two guarantors to rent. I think you could be a little flexible or if you are very unhappy, why not look for another apartment and have a clear understanding before you sign with the owner -- that you will only pay in pesos, etc. Bottom line: why get all bent out of shape over something minor. If you get insistent you will just create problems with the owner which could make your life more stressful.

I think landlords can ask to be paid dollars for temporary rentals, but not for long term (2 year) rentals.

jp said:
I think landlords can ask to be paid dollars for temporary rentals, but not for long term (2 year) rentals.

I've been wondering about that lately though -- there's a shocking amount of 2 year rentals in Clarin and La Nacion being advertised in dollars! I don't understand how they can do that, nor why anyone would sign a 2 year contract in USD -- you might start out paying 3000 pesos a month and by the end of the contract be paying 5000... and these are for unfurnished, 2 year rentals + expensas, with garantia etc etc

My (limited) understanding is that a long term contract in dollars isn't enforceable. Doesn't stop people asking for it, and plenty of people might agree to it. But if it came to it - and the peso devalued spectacularly the landlord would struggle to make their tenants pay the dollar amount stated in their contract.

I could be completely wrong on this though, only going on what I remember people telling me over the years ...

jp said:

"En todos los supuestos, los alquileres se establecerán en moneda de curso legal al momento de concertarse, será nula , sin perjuicio de la validez del contrato La cláusula por la cual se convenga el pago en moneda que no tenga curso legal . En este caso , el precio quedará sujeto a determinación judicial."

That is from the Ley de Alquileres, which addresses both temporary and long-term rentals. Some countries have a moneda extranjera de curso legal, but I've not been able to find anything on a government website that states such a thing.

A government website for tourism explicitly states that the peso is the "moneda de curso legal," however.

Lawyers out there??? Is the dollar Argentina's moneda extranjera de curso legal?

For what it's worth, it's very easy to get dollars at the Banco de La Nacion. I've had experience at the Banco de La Nacion at Azcuenaga and Santa Fe (I think it's there?? It's near Uriburu and Santa Fe, for sure.). I just went upstairs to the second floor, found someone to register my passport, and then went to the cajas on the same floor and bought dollars. You'll pay about $7.50 USD to per every $1000 of dollars you buy. It's $7.50, but meh, I'd rather pay that than argue.

bradlyhale said:
"En todos los supuestos, los alquileres se establecerán en moneda de curso legal al momento de concertarse, será nula , sin perjuicio de la validez del contrato La cláusula por la cual se convenga el pago en moneda que no tenga curso legal . En este caso , el precio quedará sujeto a determinación judicial."

That is from the Ley de Alquileres, which addresses both temporary and long-term rentals. Some countries have a moneda extranjera de curso legal, but I've not been able to find anything on a government website that states such a thing.

A government website for tourism explicitly states that the peso is the "moneda de curso legal," however.

Lawyers out there??? Is the dollar Argentina's moneda extranjera de curso legal?

I'm pretty sure that it is not and that the Peso is the only moneda de curso legal.

Hello
What I know is that it isn`t compulsory to pay in dollars but as rentals are set in dollars what is reasonable is to pay the equivalent in pesos to the rate published by Banco de la Nacion Argentina I have a flat I rent and that I have also advertised on this site and I have a lease agreement that says that "rental can be payed in pesos " and the official bank for that purpose is Banco de la Naciòn, I don`t see any problem and if I want dollars I can buy them myself I don`t understand why people make an issue.
greetings
Reina

cruizes said:
I have been here for about 10 months but starting to have some trouble with my landlord. Does anyone know the actual law, if there is one, about landlords demanding US dollars for rent here?
Landlords can demand Mexican gold pesos, moonstones, slaves, camels - read your contract, that's what counts. If it says payment in myrrha and chicken feet, that's what you must pay, if it says either $ or pesos, then pesos it is.

Back