Paying the overstay fine at Ezeiza

Diskosis

Registered
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Messages
126
Likes
15
I'm taking a flight at 2am, so will be arriving at the airport and checking-in luggage etc at around 11/12 --

Does anyone know...

Firstly, if there is any way to pay the overstay fine earlier in the day/week so that I don't have to worry about it when I get to the airport?

If that's not possible, are there any problems paying the fine that late at night? I read on another thread that you go to one of the airport banks to pay the fine, but those will be closed at that time. I ask this because last time my parents left the country on the same flight, they tried to collect their duty-free refunds at the airport but couldn't because the office was closed at that time.

Thanks.
 

arty

Registered
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
505
Likes
66
I would actually show up earlier and pay your fine at that time. The lines at the airport can get really long. Just pack a meal and take a beer with you so you can relax after.
 

SaraSara

Registered
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
1,597
Likes
432
HowardinBA said:
erm..what,s an "overstay" fine please?
It's the fine for overstaying a tourist visa. I had to pay it last year, and it was something like fifty pesos. But I've heard it is now three hundred.
 

mini

Registered
Joined
Apr 7, 2008
Messages
2,375
Likes
438
SaraSara said:
It's the fine for overstaying a tourist visa. I had to pay it last year, and it was something like fifty pesos. But I've heard it is now three hundred.

Why do you have to pay this fine if you are Argentine? I thought this was only for tourists?
 

esllou

Registered
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
618
Likes
202
what would happen if you turned up to the airport and showed them your empty wallet?
 

SaraSara

Registered
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
1,597
Likes
432
mini said:
Why do you have to pay this fine if you are Argentine? I thought this was only for tourists?

It is only for tourist visas, but for personal reasons I had to use my US passport.
 

bradlyhale

Registered
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Messages
2,048
Likes
1,471
SaraSara said:
It is only for tourist visas, but for personal reasons I had to use my US passport.

Were you born in Argentina or the U.S.?

I ask because if I were born in the U.S. and had an Argentine passport, there is no way that U.S. customs would allow me into the U.S. as a tourist. They would see on my Argentine passport that I was born in the United States, and promptly request my U.S. passport. Brazil is the same way.

I was under the impression that you were born in Argentina.
 

SaraSara

Registered
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
1,597
Likes
432
bradlyhale said:
I was under the impression that you were born in Argentina.

That's correct. I guess Argentina does things differently from Brazil or the US.
 

bradlyhale

Registered
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Messages
2,048
Likes
1,471
SaraSara said:
That's correct. I guess Argentina does things differently from Brazil or the US.

There are indeed a lot of gray areas here, whether you're a resident or not a resident or Argentina has a dual-citizenship agreement with a country or not... Blah, blah, BLAH! :D
 
Top