Paying Twice For A Visa??

Farenheit

Registered
My US relative just emailed me from the airport, she is on her way to visit us here in Bs As. Her visa was valid till 2020 (she last came in 2010), but she had to go online and pay $160 for a new visa because of a change in law?

My US relative just emailed me from the airport, she is on her way to visit us here in Bs As. Her visa was valid till 2020 (she last came in 2010), but she had to go online and pay $160 for a new visa because of a change in law?

No, she does not. I am in the same situation, and have had no difficulty re-entering the country even though my proof of payment is in my expired passport (so I have to carry both the new and the old passport).

The airline personnel do not understand the new rules. All they know is that you need to have a visa and proof of payment before boarding. She should have fought and argued on that one a lot harder and asked for a supervisor.

She showed them the visa, but they insisted it was a new law and she couldn't board otherwise. Is there any way she can claim the money back?

I had no problem when showing my previous "visa/reciprocity fee" sticker in my passport this Thursday from Miami on AA to BA.

This was in Mexico City. Maybe they're not used to US citizens traveling to Argentina....

She showed them the visa, but they insisted it was a new law and she couldn't board otherwise. Is there any way she can claim the money back?

I would not attempt to hold my breath until she gets her money back. I came on LAN, which perhaps knows the system better, but I also have additional stamps in my passport that show it's valid.

ajoknoblauch, she is also flying with LAN, I think the issue was the airport being MEX.

She should call up her credit card company and/or bank, and request that they do a charge-back. If she explains the circumstances (i.e., she was forced to pay for something that she didn't need), she'll likely get her money back. This is probably the easiest way.

Back