Paypal + Argentina Government Bank Website Hacked!

scottlyon

Registered
Hey all,

The Internet group which goes by the name of 'Anonymous' has led a few attacks to commemorate the 5th of November celebration of Guy Fawkes.

The most important to mention is the alledged hacking of 28,000+ Paypal account which have been listed here, if you find an email address you use in there I'd recommend changing your Paypal password as soon as you can - chances are slim you'll be there but a quick search through should remove any uncertainties you might have. Best way to do this is load the page up and hold down 'Control' and tap 'F' - this allows you to search for a sequence of letters and numbers in the order you'd expect to find them in (So I would type scottlyon to find my name on that page).

The passwords themselves are still encrypted, however with there being so many database hacks over the past year if your email and password are the same for Paypal as they are for another site then you could already be compromised (Never use banking passwords anywhere but banks! 1 unique one per account too!).

There are other databases which have been leaked too, 1 named 'klarpsp1' which has a table called 'mc_customers'. which has a list of telephone numbers (28,000+) and encrypted passwords next to them. Best check that too to make sure the data isn't pollinating across further and if your number is on thee do not give it out over the phone to anyone claiming to be from somewhere were normally you would phone them. There's a list of names, with no obvious connection to the other information but best see if you or your loved ones are on there (Particularly if you've an unusual name). And a further 2 other tables which look like phone numbers or at least are numerical next to encrypted data. All of these are kept in a central location here for...'ease of access'?

Chances are incredibly slim this will have any effect on you but best to be careful - particularly due to other sites across the globe being breached and passwords being known to be associated with emails already. I'm sure Paypal and other sites which have been targeted will be looking after your best interests already regarding this. I'm only mentioning it here because I did a 'find' for ".ar" and found a few email addresses based in Argentina - there are others from all over though.

That said there rest of their attacks are seemingly low level. The Argentina Government Bank website is currently down having had this image put up in it's place earlier today:

argentina-bank-site-hacked-anonymous.jpg

NBC, Lady Gaga, Saturday Night Live and a few others have been 'hit' as well. I expect that it's only realy the Paypal accounts which need to be addressed - so feel free to share this on your social networks or with family and loved ones just to minimise any potential concerns. Again, chances are really slim you'll be on there but better safe than sorry.

I hope this helps somebody!

Back