Peanut Butter

emma

Registered
I've come to the conclusion that finding pre-made peanut butter here is pretty much a lost cause, particularly because I prefer natural peanut butter.

But then I decided that liking natural pb is actually a good thing because the only ingredient is salted peanuts - something readily available in bulk at the nearby supermercado.

I'm not really sure how I'd go about grinding it, though. Any suggestions about what device would be the most effective and where I might find such a device in BsAs? I'd even be willing to share!

I just saw peanut butter on S. Otriz between Cabrera & Gorriti on the odd side of the street. Ask for pasta de mani. It's at a middle eastern store where I just bought tahini & Greek yogurt. Don't buy the humus, it's not good.

You can find Peanut Butter in most of the "dieteticas" in Buenos Aires. The good part is the brands that are made here in Argentina are the all natural kind with the peanut oil that float to the top so you have to stir them before eating. The brand that I like the best is "SYTARI" which is produced in Córdoba. When you ask for it DON'T ask for "manteca de mani". DO ask for "pasta de mani". I will be opening a store soon in Villa Urquiza and hope to get a peanut butter machine similar to those in Whole Foods. Here's the link to my store (opening late April or early May) www.candylandshop.com.ar The problem is I have to import the machine from the US or china and since the machine is heavy it is going to be quite expensive. But I am sure it will be a good investment as there will be a big following from US expats for the peanut butter.

If you have a Cuisinart here and you like almonds, almond butter is great alternative. I don't know where you can buy them in bulk, but if you put a few cups at a time into a Cuisinart and let it go until you have a smooth consistency, that's all there is to it.

Loads of the supermarkets in barrio chino have peanut butter, and for half the price of imported peanut butter (available in jumbo). Failing that a grinder, some patience and trial and error should work.

Natural peanut butter is all over the city at most dieteticas...where have you been looking for it?

Popper said:
If you have a Cuisinart here and you like almonds, almond butter is great alternative. I don't know where you can buy them in bulk, but if you put a few cups at a time into a Cuisinart and let it go until you have a smooth consistency, that's all there is to it.

ALMOND BUTTER is much better for you than Peanut Butter, but it's usually more expensive too. Almonds are a good source of calcium and Omega-3s in addition to their obvious protein content.

(I miss Trader Joe's. They're not the perfect grocery store, but there are things that you just can't find other places.)

Thanks for all your help, you guys! No wonder I couldn't find it as I was looking both in the wrong place and under the wrong name. My spanish teacher told me I wouldn't be able to find it except the occasional (and very expensive) imported jar in 'high end' groceries. I'm glad I didn't just take her word for it and asked here.

Just a note on the Barrio Chino peanut butter selection -- while 'tis true that you can get the Chinese version of Jif very affordably there, you really have to look at expiration dates. I've seen peanut butter there over a year out of date!!

Back