peanut butter

thuy.ashtango

Registered
Hey All

Because one of the most common questions I am asked is: "Where can I find peanut butter in BA?" I am posting the following...Here are some places to get peanut butter. YES, BA does in fact have peanut butter. Enjoy!

In Barrio Chino (which is basically on Arribenos, between Juramento and Mendoza) there are several markets which carry both natural and "un"natural peanut butter. Both are much cheaper than the giant chain markets. The 2 Barrio Chino markets that I visit most are Casa China (on Arribenos) and Asia Oriental (on Mendoza).

Outside of Barrio Chino, unnatural peanut butter can be found at many large markets like Jumbo and Disco.

There is also a tiny Asian market in Once on Bte Mitre. I believe on the corner of Azcuenaga, or it may be Pasteur. They carry natural peanut butter.

Peace (and I mean that with the most gangsta' of inflections)

Thuy

I got Peter Pan a few months ago at Carrefour, they do not carry it anymore though :p

We shop there often, lots of Peter Pan for $24 pesos a jar...+ some other smaller jars of Planters, I always get my stash there.....:D

Another find, Real Maple Syrop "Camp" 500 ml from Quebec Canada eh....
$54 pesos for 500 ml spotted at Disco Malabia y Paraguay yesterday...:p

Does anywhere sell Skippy? With the peanuts? I think I bought some a couple of years ago in the Palermo Jumbo but they don't sell it any more.

thuy.ashtango said:
Hey All

Because one of the most common questions I am asked is: "Where can I find peanut butter in BA?" I am posting the following...Here are some places to get peanut butter. YES, BA does in fact have peanut butter. Enjoy!

In Barrio Chino (which is basically on Arribenos, between Juramento and Mendoza) there are several markets which carry both natural and "un"natural peanut butter. Both are much cheaper than the giant chain markets. The 2 Barrio Chino markets that I visit most are Casa China (on Arribenos) and Asia Oriental (on Mendoza).

Outside of Barrio Chino, unnatural peanut butter can be found at many large markets like Jumbo and Disco.

There is also a tiny Asian market in Once on Bte Mitre. I believe on the corner of Azcuenaga, or it may be Pasteur. They carry natural peanut butter.

Peace (and I mean that with the most gangsta' of inflections)

Thuy

On Saturday I checked some of the expiration dates of the peanut butter in the store on Mendoza in Barrio Chino: October 2008. The self looked just as full as it did six months ago when I first checked and the expiration dates were the same...
icon4.gif

I have seen Peter Pan and Planters (crunchy and smooth) at Jumbo, Disco, and even Carrefour on occasion, but they are often sold out.

The term for peanut butter here is pasta de mani or manteca de mani. There are several mid-eastern brands and an Argentine brand called "Dame Mani." I did not find the latter equal to the US brands, and thought it tasted of stale peanuts.

I buy peanut butter "Dame Mani" at Walmart for $13.50, and to me it tastes just as good as Skippy or Peter Pan. If you really want it, your tastes buds will adjust. :)

Just got in a shipment of peanut butter at my store, all natural no sugar added the kind that has the REAL peanut oil that you have to mix in when you open the jar.
450gr (16oz.) $10,00. No preservatives, made from fresh peanuts in Córdoba.
www.candylandshop.com.ar

nleonce said:
I buy peanut butter "Dame Mani" at Walmart for $13.50, and to me it tastes just as good as Skippy or Peter Pan. If you really want it, your tastes buds will adjust. :)
I'll second this, but not quite so roundly. I think it tastes really good in a sandwich, but on a spoon it's just okay. I think that's because it's not quite as sweet as American peanut butter. It's a fairly large jar for a good price, though

Out here in the sticks, 2 hours from the wonderful shops of BA and 1 hour from those in Rosario, I just make my own. . . I throw one cup of salted peanuts (without skins) in the food processor, turn it on, and add oil (maybe 1-1/2 t) until it reaches the desired consistency, adding more salt as needed. I suppose I could add sugar. . . but I save that for making the boysenberry and blueberry jams. Mmmmm...PB&J all homemade on homebaked oatmeal bread. . . I love living in a country where I can get these ingredients (well, most of the time).

But can you get an Old El Paso taco kit with taco shells ? :) Just kidding..

Back