Perma-tourists and round trip plane tickets from BA

HeyBA

Registered
Just a heads up to perma-tourists.

I went to Miami this weekend and was given a lot of trouble at check-in because I didn't have proof of onward travel.

I was aware that this happens to people, but it didn't occur to me that it would be an issue on a round trip originating in BA.

Lots of airlines do this. She wanted to sell me an expensive return flight to the US. I was running late, so I said, look, I could buy a ferry ticket to Uruguay and print it out, but I'll miss the plane if I do that. She kind of nodded and almost smiled. This isn't an Argentine thing, but an airline thing, in my opinion.

I pushed back hard, and just basically contradicted all her arguments, displaying enough first-hand knowledge of BA to show her she wasn't getting one over on me. Eventually she let me through.

But the whole thing took me off guard. My solution will be to buy a Buque Bus ticket good for a year that I can produce as proof of onward travel.

So, a heads up to perma-tourists and fellow BA greenhorns. Also, any vets have constructive advice to share in this situation?

So if I am the one in 1000 that EZE that Argentine immigration does not let in and turns back because I am to hippie, to sick, dressed like bum, to black, to gay, to broke or Christina is having a bad day with Barack where does the Buquebus BOAT dock at EZE Airport?
Argentine immigration may be a little slow but they are not going to let me walk out of the airport to look for my Buquebus boat.

Tangerine said:
So if I am the one in 1000 that EZE that Argentine immigration does not let in and turns back because I am to hippie, to sick, dressed like bum, to black, to gay, to broke or Christina is having a bad day with Barack where does the Buquebus BOAT dock at EZE Airport?
Argentine immigration may be a little slow but they are not going to let me walk out of the airport to look for my Buquebus boat.

"too" with 2 "O's".

too
adverb /to͞o/ 

1) To a higher degree than is desirable, permissible, or possible; excessively
- he was driving too fast
- he wore suits that seemed a size too small for him

2) Very
- you're too kind

3) In addition; also
- is he coming too?

4) Moreover (used when adding a further point)
- she is a grown woman, and a strong one too

Tangerine said:

Even if you do have a ticket for onward travel, it won't be for the same day. If migraciones wouldn't let you in because you don't have an onward ticket you would already be in a good place to buy one (never heard of this happening). If any of the other reasons you cited apply, you'll have a problem that won't be resolved by simply using the onward ticket that you already have (either via the airline or Buquebus). At the least you would have to change the date (in order to leave on the same plane on which you arrived) and probably pay a fee. At the worst you might be at the airport for quite a while and/or change airlines.

If you're too sick to be let in the country you're probably too sick to get on the plane in the first place. If you have enough money to buy a plane ticket no one is going to think you are too broke, especially if you are from the USA. If you look like a bum or a hippie just take a shower and change your clothes prior to departure. Being gay or black aren't issues at immigration in the first place.

I don't gamble, but I'd start if I could have 1000 to one odds.

If Cristina ever decides to get serious about the perma tourists (regardless of her relationship with the US president), not having a ticket for (any type of) onward travel could present a problem. After all, real tourists usually arrive with their departure already planned within the next 180 days. Though there are some exceptions, those arriving without an onward ticket either have residency or intend to stay beyond the time limit granted to tourists.

If Christina has the power (with or without a decreto) to prevent entry of hundreds of containers into the country she has the power to prevent foreigners with too many stamps in their passports...and there is a decreto for that.

Napoleon said:
"too" with 2 "O's".

too
adverb /to͞o/ 

1) To a higher degree than is desirable, permissible, or possible; excessively
- he was driving too fast
- he wore suits that seemed a size too small for him

2) Very
- you're too kind

3) In addition; also
- is he coming too?

4) Moreover (used when adding a further point)
- she is a grown woman, and a strong one too

Really? Spelling cop? This is a Buenos Aires expat group, not Dave's ESL Cafe. :rolleyes:

A few clarifications from the OP:

This was on Aerolineas Argentinas, leaving Miami to come back to BA.

It's common for people to encounter difficulties getting to BA on a one-way ticket. Not just Aerolineas, but many airlines are known for stopping people at check-in and demanding proof of onward travel. The purported logic behind this is that if a carrier allows someone to fly on a one-way ticket and that person is turned back at customs, the carrier has the legal obligation to return the passenger to the country of origin and cover the costs.

It's not very likely that people from the US, Europe, Commonwealth etc, will get turned away on the ground in Ezeiza. However, the airlines use this as a handy excuse to sell you an expensive return ticket on the spot, under the threat of missing your flight and losing your previously purchased ticket. I have a hunch that this occurs much more frequently with harried travelers running late.

Again, airline employees aren't dealing with immigration regulations, but their own legal obligations. The best check against this is to calmly and coolly produce your (inexpensive and flexible) ferry or bus ticket out of Argentina, if asked. Then if there is trouble, one can say, "Look, I'm traveling onward from Argentina and have proof right there. I have absolutely no obligation to do it with your company!"

What caught me by surprise was to get this business from the same company that sold me the return back to BA. So, I'm alerting others and asking for any solid advice from the seasoned hands around here.

HeyBA said:
A few clarifications from the OP:

It's common for people to encounter difficulties getting to BA on a one-way ticket. Not just Aerolineas, but many airlines are known for stopping people at check-in and demanding proof of onward travel. The purported logic behind this is that if a carrier allows someone to fly on a one-way ticket and that person is turned back at customs, the carrier has the legal obligation to return the passenger to the country of origin and cover the costs.

There may be confusion created by the phrase "getting to BA" as it really means getting on the plane to BA. The "difficulty" is not that there's a problem getting into Argentina upon arrival. At least not yet.

Just to clarify another (minor) point: Migraciones has the power to allow entry or "turn back" (deny entry) into the country . The Aduana (customs) only deals with the stuff we bring with us. If you have a problem with your visa you won't get any help at the Aduana.

Sometimes it's really important to know the correct terminology. If you go to the office of migraciones and ask to renew your passport (as one member once posted), they may turn you away not realizing that you really wanted to extend your visa. They may try to help and send you to the US Embassy.

Good point Steve. To be specific, I had the usual easy time with migraciones. So I don't think this is an instance of the decreto being suddenly enforced.

It was just that the airline wanted proof of onward travel, so they would be off the hook. So I'll have it from now on.

Would be good if any perma-tourists alerted us all to any trouble regarding sudden decreto enforcement.

How do I get out of perma-tourist status?

I have encountered this problem leaving the US. The airlines are responsible for being sure a passenger has a return ticket. Proof of onward travel is needed , or they can deny boarding. I have delivered sailboats from the Bahamas to the Caribbean , and have to have a full fare return to the US to be allowed to board to the Bahamas. The airlines can face fines for allowing passengers to board without proof of return or onward travel. Immigrations hardly ever cares.

Back