Permanent Residence And Reciprocity Fee Question

emh

Registered
Hello! I will be traveling back to Argentina soon with my Argentine husband and son. I have an Extranjeros DNI from numerous years ago that states my permanent residence, but moved back to the US almost a year ago.
I want to make sure that I won't be asked to pay the reciprocity fee upon arrival to EZE, as technically I think I'm not longer a permanent resident, despite still having a DNI. I'd be entering Argentina with a US passport.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!!

You had them the passport and the DNI and keep the mouth closed.

Unless the "rules" have changed recently, you only have to set foot in Argentina once every two years to maintain your permanent residency.

I'm not 100% sure... but I believe residency is good for up to 2 years out of the country, so your DNI (as long as it's not expired) should be enough.

However, that doesn't mean they won't ask to see the proof of payment of the reciprocity fee. :) I was surprised when last month, upon entering the country for the first time with my permanent residency which I got last year, I was asked to show proof I had paid the reciprocity fee. I don't know if it was because I had prior stamps in my passport or what, but luckily I had my old passport with me and was able to show them. Maybe I could have argued that it wasn't necessary since I had permanent residency, but since I had the document on me, I just showed it without fussing.

This of course, probably depends on the particular agent you get and you may have no issues whatsoever. Theoretically, your DNI should still be good and you shouldn't have to pay anything.

Caution; you may still need to pay the fee as you will be entering on your US Passport. They don't want to lose any opportunity to gain some dollars.

If you have residency you don't have to pay the reciprocity fee.

Thanks for all your responses.

I guess my question is more if I am still a permanent resident "technically", and if it is still the case where I only have to go to Argentina once every two years to maintain that status. I have traveled multiple times with my US passport and DNI without having to ever pay the reciprocity fee, now I am just a little concerned that they will see that I haven't been to Argentina in nearly a year so clearly am no longer a resident there.

Right, with residency there is no reciprocity fee but if you make the mistake to show your U.S. passport, they try to charge you. I had it happen recently, didn't even think about it when I handed them the passport until they started adding in the reciprocity fee, but when I produced my Argentina DNI that was the end of it.

Your dni expires generally if you haven't been in the country over two years but I recall one woman saying her residency doesn't expire because she got it through her argentine mother so the case might be similar for you if you got your residency through marriage. But you're fine if it's only been a year

If you have a valid DNI, the reciprocity fee does not apply to you. It's really that simple.
If you have not been absent from Argentina for over two years, your DNI is valid.

As ghost said, you hand them the passport and the DNI (with a cheery "Buen dia!") and that's that.
BTW I asked them once which line I should use at migraciones, the one for argentinos or extranjeros, the response was basically "as you wish - whichever is shorter".

Back