Permanent residency questions

a7mad sa3d

Registered
Hello everyone , i have 2 questions to ask , and i will be thankful for responding ... :
1 - if i got married with a permanent resident ( permanent resident who HAS NOT the Argentinian citizenship YET ! ) , would i have the permanent residency ?
2- if it is yes and i had the permanent residency , would i have the citizenship when she has the citizenship ?
P.S , she has permanent residency from 3 years ago and she will have the citizenship in 1 year maximum

My situation is different as my wife is 100% Argentine. Before moving here over ten years ago I applied and got my permanent residency while we lived in the UK....all very straightforward it was. After being here a while I got my DNI which was much harder to get and involved a hell of a lot of faffing about.

Just a guess to question 1 but I don't see it being as easy as that.....what nationality are you as that may make a difference?
As to question 2 best waiting until you fulfil the criteria needed to get permanent residency before moving on to getting citizenship. After 10 years here I have never given acquiring Argentine citizenship a thought and very much doubt I ever will.

Hopefully others will be along soon to advise you better.

1 - if i got married with a permanent resident ( permanent resident who HAS NOT the Argentinian citizenship YET ! ) , would i have the permanent residency ?

After you get married you can apply for permanent residency at migraciones. It should not be difficult to get.

2- if it is yes and i had the permanent residency , would i have the citizenship when she has the citizenship ?

As far as I know, you will not be granted citizenship when she gets it, even if you already have permanent residency. Citizenship is granted on an individual basis. I believe you will have to apply for it after you are married.

Getting your citizenship should be "easier" and undoubtedly cheaper if you already have the permanent residency and a DNI For one thing, you won't have to hire a lawyer. It also might be a lot faster, given the fact that you have permanent residency and the DNI and you are married to an Argentine citizen.

The most important thing to find out regarding getting your citizenship is in regards to the two years residency requirement. Will you have too physically remain in the country for two years without interruption, or, with permanent residency and the DNI, can you come and go as you please?

With DNU 70/2017 to have a spounse does not give you right to permanent residency straight dorward.

No, you have to apply for citizenship. Naturalized citizens are normally discriminated regarding the rights of his/her spounse and children.

With DNU 70/2017 to have a spounse does not give you right to permanent residency straight dorward..

Well then don't plan on leaving the country until you have one or the other and if you can't get permanent residency based on your marriage, apply for citizenship after you've been in Argentina for one year.

PS: It would be interesting to know what changes have been made regarding permanent residency and marriage.

Last edited:
With DNU 70/2017 to have a spounse does not give you right to permanent residency straight dorward.

I thought the DNU/2017 was declared unconstitutional:

The DNU 70/2017 is dead! :)

Does this mean parts of it are still in effect and if so (like throwing obstacles in the path of obtaining permanent residency through marriage...what are they?

Perspiring minds would like to know.o_O

Shocking! Please elaborate.

Most of the judges asserts that you get citizenship as political rights but not nationality than in Spanish means race. So, they do not recognize the right to opcion de nacionalidad neither to apply for marriage by passing the 2 years.

I thought the DNU/2017 was declared unconstitutional:

The DNU 70/2017 is dead! :)

Does this mean parts of it are still in effect and if so (like throwing obstacles in the path of obtaining permanent residency through marriage...what are they?

Perspiring minds would like to know.o_O

It does not abolishes it. But when many Courts declares it unconstitutional judges stops enforcing it. Almost no judge enforce it, but immigration does.

Is it the same thing for people who have an Argentine child? Also, my wife is due to deliver at the end of the month but her visa expires 5 days after her due date. Should I ask for an extension while her belly is that big or should I wait after the baby is born?

Back