Permanent residency questions

Thank you, Bajo. You are such a good helper. I am personally grateful for all you are doing for us.
Will overstaying her visa complicate her application for permanent residency through her newborn?'

Is it the same thing for people who have an Argentine child? Also, my wife is due to deliver at the end of the month but her visa expires 5 days after her due date. Should I ask for an extension while her belly is that big or should I wait after the baby is born?

I assume Dr. Rubliar was "telling" you to wait until after the baby is born for your wife to get an extension of her 90 day visa with the above reply.

It is obviously easier for him to correct me if I am wrong than provide a detailed reply, so I'll add that there is a 30 day grace period for you wife to get the extension (aka prorroga de permanecia) and the fee will increase by 50%.

Since Dr. Rubliar did not mention it, I assume that an overstay will not affect her application for permanent residency based on having a child born in Argentina. I also believe that she will have to go to migraciones in person to ask for the extension. I don't think you can ask for it on her behalf.

If she submits the application for permanent residency after the 90 day visa has expired did not get the prorroga, migraciones will still charge the overstay fee and possibly the extra 50% as well.

Dr. Rubilar mentioned that the DNI 70/2018 has made it more difficult to obtain permanent residency based on marriage, but he didn't say that regarding the parents of a child born in Argentina, so I am assuming that both the father and mother of a child born in Argentina are eligible for permanent residency regardless of their marital status. If that's the case, and the father is also a foreigner, it makes sense for both to apply for permanent residency at the same time.

It would also be "helpful" to know if the parents of a child born in Argentina can apply for citizenship without a DNI and/or without fulfilling the requirement of two years of uninterrupted residency. 1528378557513.png

Last edited:
I assume Dr. Rubliar was "telling" you to wait until after the baby is born for your wife to get an extension of her 90 day visa with the above reply.

It is obviously easier for him to correct me if I am wrong than provide a detailed reply, so I'll add that there is a 30 day grace period for you wife to get the extension (aka prorroga de permanecia) and the fee will increase by 50%.

Since Dr. Rubliar did not mention it, I assume that an overstay will not affect her application for permanent residency based on having a child born in Argentina. I also believe that she will have to go to migraciones in person to ask for the extension. I don't think you can ask for it on her behalf.

If she submits the application for permanent residency after the 90 day visa has expired did not get the prorroga, migraciones will still charge the overstay fee and possibly the extra 50% as well.

Dr. Rubilar mentioned that the DNI 70/2018 has made it more difficult to obtain permanent residency based on marriage, but he didn't say that regarding the parents of a child born in Argentina, so I am assuming that both the father and mother of a child born in Argentina are eligible for permanent residency regardless of their marital status. If that's the case, and the father is also a foreigner, it makes sense for both to apply for permanent residency at the same time.

It would also be "helpful" to know if the parents of a child born in Argentina can apply for citizenship without a DNI and/or without fulfilling the requirement of two years of uninterrupted residency. View attachment 5012
Thank you, Steve. You are always helpful.
Our situation is: We are part of the higher class in our country, we live very well and have money but it is a poor country. We have US visas and we are traveling around the world. We have no intention to live in Argentina or anywhere else. I just want a better passport for my child, and in the future for me as well. We are from Haiti.

Thank you, Steve. You are always helpful.
Our situation is: We are part of the higher class in our country, we live very well and have money but it is a poor country. We have US visas and we are traveling around the world. We have no intention to live in Argentina or anywhere else. I just want a better passport for my child, and in the future for me as well. We are from Haiti.

Based on this information and assuming the two year residency requirement does not apply to a child born in Argentina (regardless of the parent's immigration status), I believe the most important thing for you to learn at this point is what you have to do to get the baby's DNI and passport.

There have been detailed posts on this subject in the past year. You can search for them (in titles only without specifying an author) using a few key words. You should be able to do get your baby's DNI and passport without paying a lawyer, but since you have money that may not be an issue.

Nonetheless, if you want to pay less than you would have to pay a lawyer to get your baby's passport, the woman from Uruguay who has helped a number of members of the forum would be certainly able to help you. She has two daughters that were born in Argentina so she knows from experience what must be done. S

It will also be helpful to know (assuming both parents are eligible for permanent residency) if the uninterrupted two year residency requirement applies to the parents of a child born in Argentina if they also desire citizenship...so they can also obtain Argentine passports without living here for two years.

T
Based on this information and assuming the two year residency requirement does not apply to a child born in Argentina (regardless of the parent's immigration status), I believe the most important thing for you to learn at this point is what you have to do to get the baby's DNI and passport.

There have been detailed posts on this subject in the past year. You can search for them (in titles only without specifying an author) using a few key words. You should be able to do get your baby's DNI and passport without paying a lawyer, but since you have money that may not be an issue.

Nonetheless, if you want to pay less than you would have to pay a lawyer to get your baby's passport, the woman from Uruguay who has helped a number of members of the forum would be certainly able to help you. She has two daughters that were born in Argentina so she knows from experience what must be done. S

It will also be helpful to know (assuming both parents are eligible for permanent residency) if the uninterrupted two year residency requirement applies to the parents of a child born in Argentina if they also desire citizenship...so they can also obtain Argentine passports without living here for two years.
Thank you for your time and all the information. We heard it will be easier to obtain citizenship if we have permanent residency. Maybe we will apply for Residency which will save me time explaining myself at the Airport when we visit. I have been to Argentina only one time, I am currently in Cuba but planned to come next week so I can be there when the baby is born. I'll leave Argentina once I get the Baby's passport and DNI. I plan to stay only 1 month after the birth. I hope I will have the passport at this time.

Yes, it will be easier to get citizenship if you have permanent residency. However, as I indicated in my previous post, I am not sure if the citizenship requirement for two years uninterrupted physical presence in Argentina applies to the parents of a child born in Argentina, even if they have permanent residency.

Even if it does, just keep in mind that permanent residency will allow you to come and go as you please, provided that you set foot on Argentine soil once every two years. Unless/until they change that rule, you won't have to live here.

It would also be "helpful" to know if the parents of a child born in Argentina can apply for citizenship without a DNI and/or without fulfilling the requirement of two years of uninterrupted residency. View attachment 5012

The ridiculous of the DNU is that the mother is elegible but the father is not, it is like a matter of luck.

Back