Permanent residency questions

Im from Sweden and if a illegal immigrant came to the immigration office they would not be able to get out again. And if one immigrant want to entering the country again, once they already been there illegal, good luck. So this is nothing I need worry about then? My knowledge in these things are less then nothing as you can see.

About Argentina. I just wanted to explain why I was worried, since how government treat immigrants in Sweden is the only experience I have in these questions. So should I be worried they take me and send me home if I appear in the immigration office?

About Argentina. I just wanted to explain why I was worried, since how government treat immigrants in Sweden is the only experience I have in these questions. So should I be worried they take me and send me home if I appear in the immigration office?

Actually, if they are still enforcing the DNU 70/2017 they might "arrest" and hold you while the police goes to your "domicilio" to verify your home address (and someone would have to be there to do so). Then you might be released, but I suspect your troubles with migraciones would continue from that point forward.

That being said, why would you "appear" at the office of migraciones after you have received "legal advice" from "a local specialized attorney at Law" not to do so?

If you can get married without a current/valid 90 day visa you may then be able to apply for permanent residency based on your marriage, but, as you have already been living in Argentina for two years, it might be "wise" to apply for citizenship at the same time.

If you can't get married without a valid 90 day visa then it might be wise to apply for citizenship as soon as possible. You don' t have to be married to obtain Argentine citizenship! Unless the requirements for citizenship have changed recently, you will have to demonstrate an "honest means of living" even if you haven't been working in blanco.

And, instead of waiting and worrying (and continuing to ask questions here)...

I will stop by the Registro Civil office some day and find out what they have to say about it.

...I suggest that you go to the Registro Civil tomorrow and learn the requisites for getting married in Argentina. Then come back and tell us what they had to say. 1529358765448.png

PS: There may be some confusion as this thread deals with two separate issues.

Dr. Rubilar indicated that the foreign father of a child who is born in Argentina may not be automatically eligible for permanent residency when the mother is also a foreigner, but it would obviously be helpful for you to "find out" if a foreigner who marries an Argentine citizen (still) is.

If you can obtain permanent residency based on marriage, citizenship will become a much less "urgent" alternative. Then, after you are married, you could go to migraciones and apply for permanent residency without fear of being arrested and/or deported.

There have been previous posts about getting married with an expired tourist visa. I believe that some were able to get married without a current 90 day visas and others were not. It may all depend on who you speak with and on what day...and what kind of day they are having.

PS: The reason you "should" consider applying for citizenship if you are unable to get married OR getting married does not provide a straightforward path to permanent residency is that it will afford you the court's "protection" from being arrested and/or deported by migraciones.

Based on what Dr. Rubilar has posted, I don't think the federal judges looked favorably on migraciones usurping their power and his efforts were instrumental in getting the DNU 70/2017 declared unconstitutional regarding citizenship.

Last edited:
Back