Permiso without DNI

Coleburger

Registered
Good afternoon everyone,

Hope youre all enjoying this beautiful day in CABA. I find myself in uncharted territory, so to speak, which has been a theme for probably everyone alive the past years. I'm an American, and I came here what was supposed to be a 2 month vacation last February, to visit a friend who lived here and to travel around Argentina in the meantime. Long story short, I opted not to head home before the quarantine hit in hopes it would pass and I would be able to resume traveling. Oh how wrong i was!

Anyways, now I find myself going on almost one year, my tourist visa long since expired. There are finally affordable flights back home available, but seeing as how i have no employment (the hotel i work in is closed indefinitely while Covid runs rampart in the States) and the dollar is strong against the peso, i'm in no rush to return in the moment. I am, however, desperate to travel. Buenos Aires is lovely, but 11 uninterrupted months in any city without so much as a weekend away is a lot.

My main question is how can I travel? I have no DNI, so i cannot use the CUIDAR app to get permiso, which means buses, trains, and planes are unavailable to me (or so i think?). I have my passport only, which means renting a car is not an option. Also, does anyone have any information about checkpoints between provinces for automobile traffic? Is there a way to receive permiso without a DNI? I would assume since travel is still technically open to people from other countries, there has to be some alternate permission granted, right? Ive considered hiring a driver to take me south (Bariloche would be my preferred destination), with a clean Covid test in my pocket, but have a fair amount of trepidation about what would happen if i get stopped. Is detention a possible outcome, or is it a fine (i'd gladly pay)? With the rumors of a second quarantine coming in February, i'd much rather be stuck near some woods and lakes in Patagonia rather than a hot summer in a closed down Buenos Aires. The embassy website and a few cursory calls make it seem like itll be a big waste of time only to be told to return home to the States.

You guys have been and continue to be a wonderful resource (that WesternUnion to convert dollars to pesos tip was life changing), and thank you in advance for any tips, ideas, or info you could chime in with. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Myself (on tourist visa, no DNI) I spent a week in December in Pinamar. As I could not download the app, there is an internet page you can get a permiso (www.argentina.gob.ar/verano). I think playing around you can finally enter some kind of foreign passport number.
However, I felt a bit uncomfortable travelling by plane, that's why we went to Pinamar. By car, especially if go a bit with the flow, the chances of being stopped entering Pinamar was probably 1% (there was only one post checking the incoming guests; it goes without saying that the vast majority of the cars was just let in without checking anything). And this was mid December, now in January / February this should even be less of a problem.
I would - especially if you to Patagonia and leave Buenos Aires province - make sure that you have a proper permiso. Again, I would check the website.

"all Argentines are Americans!"
Sure, you're technically correct. I just struggle to remember the last time I heard anybody, any one person, that wasn't from the states identify themselves as American. I can, however, remember thousands of times those same people have referred to me as an American. Is there some sort of multi-continental pride the Americas share i'm not aware of, that Estadouicense (can't even remember how to spell this ridiculous word no one uses) are coopting? Also, its worth noting the US has the word America in its name. Does Argentina?

Myself (on tourist visa, no DNI) I spent a week in December in Pinamar. As I could not download the app, there is an internet page you can get a permiso (www.argentina.gob.ar/verano). I think playing around you can finally enter some kind of foreign passport number.
However, I felt a bit uncomfortable travelling by plane, that's why we went to Pinamar. By car, especially if go a bit with the flow, the chances of being stopped entering Pinamar was probably 1% (there was only one post checking the incoming guests; it goes without saying that the vast majority of the cars was just let in without checking anything). And this was mid December, now in January / February this should even be less of a problem.
I would - especially if you to Patagonia and leave Buenos Aires province - make sure that you have a proper permiso. Again, I would check the website.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Good afternoon everyone,

Hope youre all enjoying this beautiful day in CABA. I find myself in uncharted territory, so to speak, which has been a theme for probably everyone alive the past years. I'm an American, and I came here what was supposed to be a 2 month vacation last February, to visit a friend who lived here and to travel around Argentina in the meantime. Long story short, I opted not to head home before the quarantine hit in hopes it would pass and I would be able to resume traveling. Oh how wrong i was!

Anyways, now I find myself going on almost one year, my tourist visa long since expired. There are finally affordable flights back home available, but seeing as how i have no employment (the hotel i work in is closed indefinitely while Covid runs rampart in the States) and the dollar is strong against the peso, i'm in no rush to return in the moment. I am, however, desperate to travel. Buenos Aires is lovely, but 11 uninterrupted months in any city without so much as a weekend away is a lot.

My main question is how can I travel? I have no DNI, so i cannot use the CUIDAR app to get permiso, which means buses, trains, and planes are unavailable to me (or so i think?). I have my passport only, which means renting a car is not an option. Also, does anyone have any information about checkpoints between provinces for automobile traffic? Is there a way to receive permiso without a DNI? I would assume since travel is still technically open to people from other countries, there has to be some alternate permission granted, right? Ive considered hiring a driver to take me south (Bariloche would be my preferred destination), with a clean Covid test in my pocket, but have a fair amount of trepidation about what would happen if i get stopped. Is detention a possible outcome, or is it a fine (i'd gladly pay)? With the rumors of a second quarantine coming in February, i'd much rather be stuck near some woods and lakes in Patagonia rather than a hot summer in a closed down Buenos Aires. The embassy website and a few cursory calls make it seem like itll be a big waste of time only to be told to return home to the States.

You guys have been and continue to be a wonderful resource (that WesternUnion to convert dollars to pesos tip was life changing), and thank you in advance for any tips, ideas, or info you could chime in with. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Also, you can fill out the summer travel form using your passport number. Just fill it out and wait for it to be approved, then print it out.

I travelled across the country by vehicle a few weeks ago and was only asked for the form once. I told them I didn't have it (because I didn't think anyone would actually care about it). I told the officer I was "american" and he just waved me right on through without a second thought.

Sure, you're technically correct. I just struggle to remember the last time I heard anybody, any one person, that wasn't from the states identify themselves as American. I can, however, remember thousands of times those same people have referred to me as an American. Is there some sort of multi-continental pride the Americas share i'm not aware of, that Estadouicense (can't even remember how to spell this ridiculous word no one uses) are coopting? Also, its worth noting the US has the word America in its name. Does Argentina?

just giving you shit. have no Args told you that? I find myself catching myself all the time to say I'm from the states not "american". I personally agree with you but it seems like many Args like to point this out in the moment.

just giving you shit. have no Args told you that? I find myself catching myself all the time to say I'm from the states not "american". I personally agree with you but it seems like many Args like to point this out in the moment.
yeah, hahaha, enough to where now it makes me bristle. i also usually say states unless its to other gringos. lol. Argentines, man. You would never hear a Mexican or Brazilian correct you on that point.

Funny enough I always have got questions asking for distinction from Mexican people -- norte americano o sudamericano?
But never heard someone in South America ask anything like it.
Argentines I've met have almost always been so proud to say they are Argentinian.

Back