Western Union money transfer

This this one have privacy screens? Everyone I have been to so far is wide open!
The Western Union on Uriburu, Recoleta - you enter a separate room through an open door from the entrance of the Disco market. The WU counter inside has two separate service counters. It's not 'private' but you're alone with the attendant at the counter and next customers wait outside the doorway, not in the room.

The Western Union on Uriburu, Recoleta - you enter a separate room through an open door from the entrance of the Disco market. The WU counter inside has two separate service counters. It's not 'private' but you're alone with the attendant at the counter and next customers wait outside the doorway, not in the room.
The office on Boedo y Castro Barros has private rooms too.

I just downloaded the WU app and if I send 25.000 pesos within Argentina to be picked up in dollars, the net amount (which includes a $500 peso promo) would be $327,20 USD which equals a rate of $77,93 ARS to ONE USD!

PS: The WU Argentine app won't let me send USD from my US bank account to my Argentine bank account and the WU USA app is "not compatible" with any of my devices.

Would a VPN solve that problem?
I wouldn't rely on a VPN for anything significant.....I have tried several....they work for a while....and then they don't.....it seems to be a cat & mouse game with the VPN sellers and the websites......and the websites are winning.

For any Brits, £1 is now over 100 pesos on WU. Amazing when you consider the official is still about 76.

WU 74.8 yesterday, 77.45 today. That was cash in the US and cash pick up. I didn’t check the other options.

For Australians...

It would seem for AUD the rate is also the same. I have also noticed that the 'miracle' rate is no longer displayed (for both WU US and AUS sites), it doesn't matter what combination of payment/receive type you do the rate is the same. At the moment 1 AUD = 52.9758 ARS. 52.9758 * 1.46215 (the official USDAUD rate as per XE Currency) = 77.45856597, the same as the WU US rate.

TLDR: 76.395 is a great rate. Thanks for sharing this opportunity and some details on how I overcame browser trouble.

Just want to throw a successful data point out there for anyone that's still on the fence. I hadn't used Western Union before and initially got an error message but it went through after clearing cache/cookies/reboot. I used a VPN back to the US, a US debit card, and I used the F1532 promo code from earlier in this thread to pay just a 5 USD fee on my USD 400 transfer. Worked out to 405 USD for 30,940 ARS=76.395

I can also recommend the WU location at Paraguay 5540. There are two windows but really only one works at a time so don't bother if there's a line. I was 3rd and it took 21 minutes from the moment I arrived to the moment I left. Passport (didn't need a copy), WU transaction number, and a smile was all it took. The 30ish man at the counter speaks workable English and both he and the older man there repeatedly thanked me for my business; no hassle at all. They did take a 20ARS fee for taking a photo of my passport which was both odd and unnecessary but things went so well that I didn't make a fuss about it. Got a standard mix of 1k/500/100s.

Western Union Wheel of Fortune
Made a transfer this morning to myself - From: US Debit Card To: Pick up Cash Morning rate was 74.8.
With everything now running smooth in my online WU US account it took about 3 minutes to complete the transaction, receive the verifying e-mail with code number and then the verifying detailed receipt page that's needed to print out and take to the local WU pick up shop. Then, before I could close the computer, received the WU message that money was ready for pick-up!
One person ahead of me in the Uriburu WU pick up office. The chica took about 5 to 10 minutes to rustle the papers, make a photocopy of dni, run the money through her counting machine, sign off, and hand over the loot. Out the door to go stuff it all in my peso bank account.
All seems to good to be true, but for once there's no Catch 22, and the usual Argentina 'also mas', foiled!

Does anyone have recent experience on receiving pesos via Western Union, delivered into an Argentina bank account? In particular, if there are any paperwork requirements, delays in deposit or fees levied by the receiving Argentina bank.
My husband has just tried to send money from his German bank account to his account in Argentina, but it didn't work. I was wondering if you have been successful.

Back