Peso what level do you see it this year?

As a side note, it is starting to show a greater pace here now. Businesses are closing and some of the chains are closing multiple locations. The downturn seems to be well into its curve and it does seem to be getting better. Question is how far before bottom? You have to feel sorry for any locals with any significant savings in pesos they have lost more than half of it in the last year. Coupled with the inflation it is like a double whammy.

And you believe the Imf ?
Uh....Che, rather than the IMF, you want I should believe in Argentina? Hmmm. I'll opt for the IMF.
p.s. I first started coming to Bs As in 1975. I have been spending blocks of time here since then, more in the past decade because I bought an apt here in 2008. I married a Portena and have spent a lot of time here in the past 3 years. The country never fails to under-perform though I must the say the dog doo on sidewalks problem has improved immensely. Now, if we could only do something about the drivers. corruption, absurd union /work laws, immigration control, tax evasion, and politicians....but, ah, the wine and local cuisine are great.

The argentinian peso is now devaluing again today and this month I have heard rumors that a devaluation of close to 20% could be possible . Today it has reached close to 42 pesos per dollar
already exchange going down to 40.

Trying to guess which way the peso will go, and when, is an exercise in frustration. In my view, it is better to change money as needed, and only as much as necessary. Learned that the hard way....

The Dollar has only one way to Go,,,UP! Its a sure bet ..!!

The Dollar has only one way to Go,,,UP! Its a sure bet ..!!

The peso since January 2018 has devalued more than 60% percent from 17 pesos to now 40 pesos per dollar . One does not need to be a rocket scientist to be able to predict that the peso will devalue a lot more ( with inflation at over 30% it goes hand in hand)

Last edited:
What is like day to day as an Argentine saving money? Do they save in dollars?

When you get a job that pays xxxx pesos per month, then the currency devalues, how do you tell your boss you need more money since the peso is no longer worth as much as it was?

Or do you demand to have your pay be in Dollars or Euros in the contract?

What is like day to day as an Argentine saving money? Do they save in dollars?

When you get a job that pays xxxx pesos per month, then the currency devalues, how do you tell your boss you need more money since the peso is no longer worth as much as it was?

Or do you demand to have your pay be in Dollars or Euros in the contract?

Businesses are under immense pressure. 10,000 businesses or more have closed down in 2018. When businesses are closing down..can you really ask boss for a raise? You are happy, you have a job!!

Businesses are under immense pressure. 10,000 businesses or more have closed down in 2018. When businesses are closing down..can you really ask boss for a raise? You are happy, you have a job!!

Ok, i get the point. But still happy having a job with the same hours earning half the pay due to inflation?

Back