Pesos in Uruguay

TERKILD

Registered
Anybody have an idea about the following:
Is it possible to withdraw Uruguay pesos in Uruguay, to a fair price, (NOT 30% worse than the real rate), then convert them to Argentinian pesos here?
Or maybe even withdraw USD from the atm with a foreign card???
I wanna use my European or US creditcard.
Anybody tried this, to avoid the now 30% spread on the official USD/peso quote compared to the blue rate??????

TERKILD said:
Is it possible to withdraw Uruguay pesos in Uruguay, to a fair price, (NOT 30% worse than the real rate), then convert them to Argentinian pesos here?
Anybody tried this, to avoid the now 30% spread on the official USD/peso quote compared to the blue rate??????

If you exchange Uruguay pesos in an official exchange house in Argentina they will give you the official rate, not the blue rate. It's the same thing.

TERKILD said:

You should be able to withdraw Dollars in Uruguay, also you may want to look at the rate they are selling Argentine pesos for in Uruguay, it may even be higher than the black market rate here.

Greg2231 said:
You should be able to withdraw Dollars in Uruguay, also you may want to look at the rate they are selling Argentine pesos for in Uruguay, it may even be higher than the black market rate here.

The best deal is withdraw US dollars from the ATM in Uruguay and bring them back to Argentina to change. Even the best rate from USD or UYU to ARS is bad compared to what you can change dollars for here.

You can withdraw $US1000 per transaction at BROU ATMs with no ATM fee, up to the limit of your card(s). Avoid the private bank network ATMs because the limit is usually $US300 and they charge a fee.

Hey, Thanks for the replies! This for sure makes sense.....one day trip to Uruguay, withdraw some USD and then change it back here! Can you go to any Uruguay city????? Like a daytrip???? Thanks, Jan

ndcj said:
The best deal is withdraw US dollars from the ATM in Uruguay and bring them back to Argentina to change. Even the best rate from USD or UYU to ARS is bad compared to what you can change dollars for here.

You can withdraw $US1000 per transaction at BROU ATMs with no ATM fee, up to the limit of your card(s). Avoid the private bank network ATMs because the limit is usually $US300 and they charge a fee.
Thanks for that report. Do you happen to know if most US banks charge a foreign transaction fee for withdrawing dollars in Uruguay? I know they do in Ecuador but that's a different situation because the US dollar is the official currency of the country.

surfing said:
Thanks for that report. Do you happen to know if most US banks charge a foreign transaction fee for withdrawing dollars in Uruguay? I know they do in Ecuador but that's a different situation because the US dollar is the official currency of the country.

I'm not sure about most banks, but, for instance, Wells Fargo charges $2.50 for a US dollar withdrawal at a BROU ATM in Uruguay with no other conversion fees.

If you have a Schwab account though, be very very careful. Schwab will gladly close your account if you suddenly start making large US dollar withdrawals in Uruguay. Remember that Uruguay has a reputation.

Any ATMs in Colonia that you can use with foreign bankcards and dollar withdrawals?????
(Never been there, so I dont have a clue!)

Do the math. By the time you pay for Barquebus and use a full day of yor time, you better have a high limit! Then you need a trusted connection so not to deal with guys on the street. Xoom sounds more appealing. Don't knw what their giving now but we're looking at 6.4 this week.

TERKILD said:
Any ATMs in Colonia that you can use with foreign bankcards and dollar withdrawals?????
(Never been there, so I dont have a clue!)

Yes, there's just about every Uruguayan bank in Colonia, all on the main street.

All Uruguayan ATMs allow you to withdraw dollars with a foreign card. BROU (Banco Republica) allows $US1000 per withdrawal, with no maximum number of withdrawals per day (up to the limit of your cards) and no ATM fee. The private banks (all using a network called Banred) have a limit usually of $US300 per transaction and have a fee of, I think, $US4.00 per withdrawal.

Back