Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Adopted from a shelter in BA

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other- please explain in the comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IntlMama

Registered
I would really like to get a pet here in Buenos Aires, I was wondering where all of you got yours?

Well, of the three dogs here, 2 came from a breeder and one was rescued off the street. I just picked out the new dog last night and she is from a breeder as well. Our cats were stray cats that we adopted. (I live outside of Cap Fed on a large property, lest you think I'm a hoarder:p)

Adopting a rescue cat or dog is great. There are a million options here to do so. And a plus is that many rescued crossbreeds are usually healthier and not as prone to genetic conditions found in pure breeds. Plus, it's my experience that rescue dogs or cats make wonderful, wonderful pets. They are usually very grateful to have a second chance and love their people.

If you do, for whatever reason, want a purebreed, I STRONGLY encourage you to buy from a breeder. Ideally you will see and meet the parents, talk with the breeder and select the appropriate pet. The puppies should have guarantees of health, etc.

Buying a pet from a pet store is :mad::mad: Many of the animals sold in pet stores come from puppy mills. Puppy mills are BAD. The breeding animals are typically kept in not great conditions, there are usually no quality guarantees on the offspring, they are frequently more prone to health issues and medical conditions like hip dysplasia, etc from breeding substandard dogs, etc.

Our dog and cat were both rescued from the street and are both super loving because of it!

We have 2 dogs we rescued off the street.

Our puppy was tied outside of a house to the bars of a window by my fiance's work. The rope wasn't even long enough to allow her to lay down completely on the sidewalk, so she'd sleep with her head hanging. There was a circle of poo and pee around her, as far as her leash would let her go. Every time we'd pass by (day or night) she was always tied to the window and never did I see any food or water. After warnings from the police -which were useless- and seeing that her health was deteriorating, we stole her in the middle of an especially cold night because we were afraid she was going to die. When we got her home, she couldn't eat or drink anything without vomiting. She was too weak to even move. So the next morning we took her to the vet where they told us she was severely malnourished and needed to have an IV. She ended up staying at the hospital for for 3 days, but thankfully she pulled through and is now a terror, though happy and healthy. :)

If you want a pet there are plenty in the streets. I pass by so many strays every day, it breaks my heart to see so many loving dogs in such bad shape. If you like cats, my sister-in-law takes care of about 30 strays that live behind the building.

Godiva, what a heartbreaking story!! I'm so glad that there are people like you out there with kind hearts to rescue a dog like that. It is so sad that there's a culture against spaying/neutering here (something about curtailing masculinty?!) as we can see the results and the poor animals who'd love nothing more than a good home.

We adopted a street cat here who is amazing, wonderful, and a bright light in my life! I just don't encourage people to "temporarily" adopt animals here--if you take one in, do it with the intention of giving them a forever home.

I found my cat, Alfajor, outside a McDonald´s right by the drive thru. I was eating in the McCafé when I spotted the poor thing trying to eat a dead plant (she must have been starving!). It broke my heart! I abandoned my food immediately to go outside an approach her. She was super friendly/affectionate and started to purr. It was at that point that she adopted me (!).

I gave my fiancé, who I was with at the time, a pleading "Can we keep her?!?" look, and he said yes. I walked with her in my arms for about 10 blocks without her putting up a fight or scratching (she´s a very loving animal!).

She knew how to use a litter box and was very affectionate and social from the moment we had her, which leads me to believe that she was either lost or abandoned.

It honestly bothers me that more people here don´t bother to get their pets spayed or neutered... I see so many stray animals on the street so frequently that it breaks my heart.

My wife found our first dog out wandering around a friend's country house. She's had her for three years.

I found our second dog on the streets of Belgrano on the way to the gym. She had a broken leg (about 2 months old) and a bunch of ticks. A quick trip to the vet for shots and a cleaning took care of the ticks and a surgery helped the leg though it will never be a 100%. She is the sweetest animal and both dogs are great with our one-year old.

We almost had a third a few months back when we saw a puppy with some drunks. My wife asked them about the dog and they told her they had found it few days earlier. We were discussing offering them money for it, but decided against it at the last minute.

Godiva!
We did the same: many nights walking by the neighborhood and seeing this poor dog left out on the street by the owner (lucky she didn't get run over by a car). She followed us so many times while we were walking our own dogs. One night I open the door of my house and she came in. I gave her food and water. Later a bath and finally trimmed her matted hair. I think people sometimes fall in love with the cuteness of puppies but don't understand that animals have needs too.

Back