Phd In Europe?

MadeInArgentina

Registered
Hi, I want your honest opinion and guidance as I don't have anyone to ask this questions to. I studied computer science and I am 26 yo. I would like to pursue a PhD or ScD in Europe, I was wondering if any of you have experience with this and can guide me. I am trying to get into a program but can't get a funded PhD program. My ex boyfriend is pursuing a PhD in France and he gets a 1500 € salary, his program last 3 years. I was wondering if any of you have tips on where to search for programs and maybe tips how to get accepted or where to gain experience in research in Buenos Airs. I would love to get a job in research in Buenos Aires. Also, if you can guide me to the differences between USA PhD programs and European PhD programs. Thank you very much.

Hi there! i cannot give you much info, i am about to get a masters degree in Denmark and as far as PhD options, at least in mya rea of studies you need to have some strong contacts in the Institution you will persue a PHD in order to have a chance of getting funding. it is getting more competitive since a lot of the european youth cannot get a job and a lot have masters, so Phd is becomes an option... do you have a masters degree? If you do I recommend you talk to your professors and try to get contacts on universities abroad (or with professors from university. You dont nessarily need a masters degree to get a PhD in many areas but gour chances decrease if you dont). To look for phd options in europe I recommend www.phdportal.eu it doesent have all the info but you can get basic info about programs then search for more detailed info yourself. But I think someone from computer science can give you a better idea, I am from social sciences and it is hard to get funding this days...

Todo pasa pir la universidad. Pero para que te esponsoreen de aca tenes que haber pagado mucho derecho de piso en lo académico ya sea dando clases en la facu o/y habiendo publicado papers.
Muchas universidades tienen un egresado local que funciona como una suerte de embajador.
Pero como ya te comentaron, con la desocupación masivamente han tirado la pelota para adelante con masters y doctorados.

I can only tell you about the situation in Germany: there are basically 2 sources of incomes for PhD students. First, every professor gets a fixed number of positions for teaching assistants. This number is typically quite low, even in Computer Science which is one of the more funded subjects. The second is working in research projects, which are funded by e.g. the country, the EU or collaborations with big companies. Here, you are working on the project which is typically closely related to your thesis subject. The amount of money is for both options roughly the same number as you stated.
Finding a job is not as easy. Most PhD students get recruited from the pool of local students, but in the group I worked, we also had people from different countries. You should check the websites of the relevant groups in the different universities for open positions and apply directly. The main issue is to convince the professor, why you are the right person for the job: did you do any research during your studies? do you have a lot of experience in the field you want to work, e.g. as part of an open-source project? do you have a recommendation letter from your professor? I'm assuming you already finished your studies, right? If not, one good option is to write a master thesis in cooperation with the professor you want to work with later. This way, he/she can see your research capabilities... In which area are you planning to work?

I am no help as far as getting funding but can speak a little as to the differences between US and elsewhere. My husband got a PhD in the UK a few years ago and it was a good experience. Although his degree is in the humanities and the job market's not so great these days:) He chose the UK b/c it was possible to finish in 3 years with hard work. In the US (again, at least in humanities) it seems to stretch on forever, with 2 more years of classes before even beginning a dissertation/research project. UK schools didn't require the GRE. Also, we felt like in the UK the PhD students were treated a little better, perhaps more like colleagues of the professors. He took a trip and met with several professors at universities with programs he was interested in (just emailed them and asked if he could buy them a cup of coffee). Highly recommend that as I think the personal connection helped as far as getting accepted.

I can only tell you about the situation in Germany: [...] You should check the websites of the relevant groups in the different universities for open positions and apply directly. [...]

or check the DAAD website: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/promotion/phd/en/

and maybe: http://www.research-in-germany.de/dachportal/en.html

Back