Philadelphia Cream Cheese and Sour Cream

jb5

Registered
Does anyone know where I cans find these? Also, what is the correct name for sour cream? Also seeking real vanilla.

jb5 said:
Does anyone know where I cans find these? Also, what is the correct name for sour cream? Also seeking real vanilla.

Cream cheese should be available some times, but very expensive. If you can't find it in a local supermarket for whatever reason it's probably available in Jumbo (there's one in Palermo).

Sour Cream = CasanCrem. That's pretty available in the dairy section of just about any supermarket.

Reactions: jb5
I haven't seen Philadelphia Cream Cheese sold here for at least 6 years. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough or go to the right places though.

The closest thing you'll find to sour cream is Casancrem or Mendicrem. At Coto, they used to sell boxes of tortilla chips that came with packages of powdered sour cream mix, but with the import restrictions, I doubt you'll find them anymore.

I found Philadelphia Cream Cheese in my local Disco about 3 months ago, wasn't there for long. Even when you do find it, though, it's so damned expensive. It's one reason cheesecakes are not very good here...hard to find and too expensive for the price of a cake. But we made one with a rich raspberry sauce that was to die for....

It may be that now, with the import restrictions, it's even harder to find, even in Jumbo.

I bought Philadelphia Cream Cheese a few months ago, but i can't remember if it was in Disco or Jumbo, or at the chinese supermarket in Arribeños.

You can find Philadelphia at Barrio Chino. Also in any big supermarket. There might be some lacks regarding the new restrictions. Regards

http://bodegaamparo.com.ar/

I got an Argentine brand of cream cheese at the Palermo location a few months ago. It of course came in bag but what 10 pesos cheaper than the Philadelphia (which they also had) and worked just as good in my recipes. I haven't been since so I'm not sure how their inventory is withstanding all the restrictions.

You can still get Philly in Coto too. Saw it recently at about $26.
Yummy!

Our local kiosco across the street almos always has Philly cream cheese (regular and onion/chives). I buy it regularly there for bagels, and if not our local Jumbo carries it as well.

Casancrem/Mendicrim are the local substitutes for sour cream, although they are not the same. I think someone posted a recipe here a while back for making sour cream, so try using the search feature. The local substitute for Philly cream cheese is called "Finlandia" and it tastes nothing like Philly. :/

I don't have any trouble finding Philadelphia cream cheese - even out here in pvca. Most supermarkets carry it and it's usually with the other spreadable cheeses.

Sour cream doesn't exist here and casancrem tastes nothing like sour cream. If you must have, the only way is to make your own.

What do you mean by real vanilla? Vanilla beans?

Back