phone charges to US

sab15

Registered
Hi,

From reading posts here I've seen that Claro is a good provider. When I come down on vacation I want to get a sim card and be able to call home and have them call me. About what are the prices per minute with a prepaid card to the US. NY specifically.

Thanks.

sab15

I would suggest Skype credit. Much cheaper and it works. And if I am not mistaken, receiving calls on your cellphones here is free so your folks can maybe call you.

Local cellphone prices are in the range of 20 cents (US) a minute or more (don't quote me on this). So I would imagine international calls are freakin' expensive!

You can by a 10 peso phonecards and talk for an hour to the US on that. Usually I buy one that is called Hable Mas although they are getting difficult to find. Alternatively why not just use Skype for free.

hope this helps

Wow. 10 pesos for an hour. That's it? That's cheap. Seems to contradict what nicoenarg is saying. Regarding Skype, I may not have a smartpone down there(might have an iphone, not sure at this moment). If I only have a simple phone I don't want to be limited to talking to friends and family from home by having to go to some internet cafe.

sab15 said:
Wow. 10 pesos for an hour. That's it? That's cheap. Seems to contradict what nicoenarg is saying. Regarding Skype, I may not have a smartpone down there(might have an iphone, not sure at this moment). If I only have a simple phone I don't want to be limited to talking to friends and family from home by having to go to some internet cafe.

I am new here in Argentina (2 months) and was only talking about direct calls from cellphones. I have no idea about these cards though so ignore my last about calls being expensive out of here.

Personally, I use Skype and it works well.

I would Skype from an iPod Touch or a computer.

Unless you run a business or give strategic military advice and need to be in contact 24/7, I can't understand why someone would want to go on vacation and yet still be tethered.

Skype is free/almost nothing (depending)... Any alternative just seems odd. You could probably buy an iPod Touch for what you would be saving by not making phone calls. Don't know about the phone cards, but usually the first minute is a doozy, so they are better for long conversations. And I can't understand why you would have a long conversation while on vacation.

PS- If you have a local SIM card, you're still going to have your credit drained if they call you from a cell phone in the States. And maybe from a landline as well.

If you have a Gmail account, you can set up Google Phone and call the US for FREE!! Skype is cheap but I always burn through my credit with all my calls to family and friends in the US. I have largely offset that cost by using Google Phone. I still use Skype to call other countries besides the US. :D

Back