Pick Your Favorite International Shi#hole [And You Think Ba]

Obviously BA is an extremely well developed city for emerging nations standards. I think that is beyond dispute. It has one of the best public transportation system in Latin America, it is incredibly safe by South American standards, has reliable water and sewer systems, great museums and parks, yada, yada....

I think the problem is the perpetuation of the myth of the "Paris of South America" and the fact that the Argentines themselves sell the image of Argentina being a developed European like nation. So people come with high expectations, before realizing that although very nice for third world standards, Buenos Aires is still very much third world with many of the typical third world problems and even with some issues that neighboring countries have left behind.

It is all a matter of poorly managed expectations.

http://gadling.com/2...nt-to-visit-in/
I can't edit the title but it says "and you think BA is Nasty"
Bogota is the worse place for me. It's Bangkok Ugly but cold and dark.

Kuala Lumpur. It's Bangkok ugly and perpetually steamy - well same as Bangkok...

Downtown LA. My last office job was in the Warehouse District, adjacent to Skid Row and one of the few places in the world I've been to that felt dangerous even in the daytime...

Bogota is the worse place for me. It's Bangkok Ugly but cold and dark.

Kuala Lumpur. It's Bangkok ugly and perpetually steamy - well same as Bangkok...

Downtown LA. My last office job was in the Warehouse District, adjacent to Skid Row and one of the few places in the world I've been to that felt dangerous even in the daytime...

BA is the best city in South/Central America. Have traveled to every big, small city of the continent. Period. Non negotiable.

in Asia, I actuallly like Hong Kong, Bankgkok and Cebu in no particular order.

In Australia and New Zealand, I am a big fan of Brisbane and Dunedin

In Europe, I like Porto, Berlin and Minsk in no particular order.

In USA, I liked New Orleans ( before Katrina) and some places in California.

I once spent a few days in Benkulu, on the southern coast of Sumatra. I have never been to a more unpleasant place. The weather, the bugs, the food, nothing about it was nice or interesting in any way. Well- there was this guy selling cut up parts of exotic jungle animals on a blanket on the sidewalk, for black magic uses, that was pretty mindblowing, but I dont know if seeing parrot beaks and monkey tails with blood still on them could be called "interesting" or just weird.
Its the town where Lord Raffles saw three of his children die of tropical diseases. He attempted to abolish slavery and cannibalism there, but really didnt succeed.

Now that is a shithole.

Buenos Aires is one of my favorite cities on earth.

Bogota is a shithole and one helluva dangerous shithole.

And you think Brazilian women are awesome. And that BA is the best city in South America. And that people who criticize Argentina should leave. So forgive me for haveing doubts about your judgement.

And you think Brazilian women are awesome. And that BA is the best city in South America. And that people who criticize Argentina should leave. So forgive me for have doubts about your judgement.

Correction :-

1. I never said anywhere that Brazilain women are awesome. But I had some incredible experiences with them as a teenager in the early 90s.
2. Yes, I stand by that BA is the best city for a expat who wants to lead a nice life in South America and he does not depend on income on local economy.
3. Yes, people who are going to abuse Argentina 24/7 and still eat here, shit here, have sex with locals, work here on tourist visa, enjoy marijuana here, will do better to move their sodding ass, & find a place, where they find peace

As for people on this thread, who don't live here and just come to pass time here and vent out frustrations from personal/work failures, a BIG hug..I feel your pain, Mate!

LiIFE IS SHORT. CUT OUT NEGATIVITY!

Back