Pickpocketed, And Passport Replaced

NOTCLEOPATRA

Registered
We were walking in the capital district, around 6:30 pm, still plenty of light out. We passed under a balcony, and something dripped onto my hair. Instantly, a smiling Argentine woman appeared from behind me, offering paper towels, and acting like it was important to get the gray drippings out of my hair. A few seconds later a friendly Argentine man appeared, letting us know that my husband's back was also splattered with the stuff. They both helped us clean up, and left while we were still wiping. A couple of minutes later we realized my husband's passport, and the money he had with it, were gone.

What did we learn? Don't let a stranger touch you, no matter how nice they seem, unless your leg is cut off and they're applying a tourniquet. Keep anything valuable in a pocket that's tied shut, or hidden under clothing.

This happened on a Saturday night, so the American Embassy was closed for the weekend. They will respond if you've suffered injuries, but a simple pickpocket situation will wait for weekday business hours. Don't try to call the embassy, you'll only be frustrated by a long recorded message, don't try to make an appointment.

Go to the embassy, don't worry about the throngs of people you see, there is a separate line for American Citizens. We arrived at 9 am, were finished registering for a replacement passport by 11 am, came back at 3 pm, and picked up the replacement passport. It cost us $135, but if we turn it in on a permanent replacement within 12 months the replacement is free.

I hope this information might help fellow travelers in the future!

Thanks. This is another version of mustard scam, trying to touch you.

Speaking of this, video surveillance is all over the places in Asia. Like this Polish student is riding a bike, he kicked the woman who was in his way. The kick was caught by the video camera in the car behind (now many people have the recording cams set up in their cars in US also). The Chinese police was able to track the motorcycle guy all the way to his apartment 50 miles away, to his building from recorded video, and caught the guy later. I wish they have something like this too in BA, it's pretty easy to implement.

cc29506e36087e6.gif

One other detail about the passport replacement, there is a guy in a white van with "servicio" on the doors around the corner from the American Embassy. He has a Polaroid camera and charges US $10 for passport photos, ready in less than a minute.

One other detail about the passport replacement, there is a guy in a white van with "servicio" on the doors around the corner from the American Embassy. He has a Polaroid camera and charges US $10 for passport photos, ready in less than a minute.

A true entrepreneur. Hollywood would have him dispensing replacement passport photos out of one side of the van, and the stinky mustard spray out of the other side.

NOTCLEOPATRA.
i'm glad that your unpleasant experience had a more or less happy ending.Just one comment .Are you sure the man and woman involved in this theft were Argentine?
In the past,many perpertrators of this type of con job have been other South Americans from a country on the Pacilic which shall remain nameless.
There are Argentine thieves,of course, but what you mention is usually a speciality of this particular nationality.

Sorry that happened to you. It's the oldest trick in the book here - even my Canadian uncle and aunt were victim to it when they came. Unfortunately this type of thing can really skew a person's opinion of the place. That's one of the first things they remember about their visit here.

Glad to hear that you were able to find a speedy solution.

Required reading for visitors to Buenos Aires.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/argentina.html

NOTCLEOPATRA.
i'm glad that your unpleasant experience had a more or less happy ending.Just one comment .Are you sure the man and woman involved in this theft were Argentine?
In the past,many perpertrators of this type of con job have been other South Americans from a country on the Pacilic which shall remain nameless.
There are Argentine thieves,of course, but what you mention is usually a speciality of this particular nationality.

I don't mind saying that the people that tried to do this to my wife and I in the subte were Peruvian and they were caught by police in the act after I shouted that they were trying to rob us. Apparently they were well known by the officer that took them aside.

The way I avoid being robbed is whenever I see a smiling Argentine woman, or worse, a friendly Argentine (!!!) I run in the other direction!
When I am smiling or friendly to Argies, sometimes it becomes suspicious to them.

Back