Planning a trip

RubyTuesday

Registered
I am a senior in high school in the US, and am looking at taking a gap year before college, spending the majority of my time in Argentina. I won't be arriving until fall 2011, and right now the trip is entirely theoretical. However, I am trying very hard to make it a reality - unfortunately I feel very lost! I have a million and one questions, and hoping desperately someone can help me out. I joined up on here because I don't view this as just a trip, I intend to live an authentic Argentine lifestyle, and live there, not just visit. I am NOT interested in anything touristy or foreign, I am here for the real experience.

I speak almost no Spanish, but will begin classes soon, and I know from experience how fast a language can be absorbed just by being around it, so I am not worried about learning it, but I am a little concerned about how people feel about "gringos". Are there a lot of negative feelings? I am sure that until my Spanish gets better I will be ripped off and cheated a lot, which I am resigned too, but other than that, generally how are non-native speakers/Americans treated?

What are good housing options/hostels for someone like me? I am fine with a hostel, but I would also be happy with a (cheap) apartment with a roommate - are there services out there where I could get set up with that?

I am looking for a project to keep me busy while I am there, I am interested in humanitarian aid type stuff - I would be thrilled building houses, volunteering with slum kids, teaching english, I mean whatever just something fulfilling and to keep me busy. However, most of what I have found online are programs that seem to care more about my money than the actual work - what are some good NGO's/nonprofits/aid organizations that aren't looking for me to pay them, and just need some volunteers? I will continue to search on my own but some help would be appreciated.

I think that about covers it for now, I would love to hear from some people, and hopefully get to know someone before I arrive so I don't show up totally alone! Thank you!

Back