planning move to BA for study

dannythedog

Registered
Hi, I have searched the forum, and I am finalising (trying to ) the move :)

1) I would like to study at Belgrano, I love their programme - BUT is it any good? How hard is it to get in - I've got a gpa of around 3.0-3.6...

2)I will have a budget of 1200Euros a month - will that be enough to live comfortably (as a student) - renting a studio and eating out quite often?
I don't mind cycling or using public transport, I just hate cooking and after sharing accommodation for a couple of years I value my private time :)

3)Which areas would you recommend to live in - I am looking for a mix of being close to university(more) and clubs(less). Does it make any sense to look for an apartment advertised on the websites or will it be significantly cheaper if I look for sth after arrival

Best,
D

Belgrano is a mid-tier university with great facilities. It is not on par with Argentina's top universities but it is a respected academic institution (Some private universities in BA are little more than glorified high schools).

What is your area of study? Do you speak Spanish fluently? Or are you planning to study through their program for English speaking foreign students? What you are planning to study makes a difference in admissions...

Also, A gpa of between 3.0 and 3.6 is quite a range.....I suspect you will not have a problem getting in if your GPA is closer to 3.00 but a GPA of 3.6 would probably make you a shoo in...especially if you can pay cash for your tuition. :)

the range is so big because the english system does not translate exactly into the american :)

I don;t speak a lot of spanish, and yes I would like to get into the english programme ;)

any comments on finance?

Thanks a lot:)

I would actually advise against UB if you want to have an active social life. Not that Belgrano is not beautiful, but because you don't go to Belgrano to do stuff. You go to Palermo primarily, even as far as Puerto Madero... I have a few friends that live in Belgrano, and as much as they love it, their main complaint is how far it is from all the things they do and the friends they have. Secondly, most of your friends are either going to live in San Telmo, Recoleta, or Palermo. When you are coming home at 3, 6, 10, in the morning after a night of debauchery, the last thing you want to do is take the colectivo (bus), and for a student on the budget of 1200 euros, having to take a 40 peso taxi (one way) is a BITCH!

One thing you need to keep in mind in regards to your budget is that this country is currently enduring serious inflation issues. I have been here 4 months and in the time that I have been here, something that would have cost me 20 pesos, now costs me 26... So no... I hate to burst your bubble, but your 1200 will not cover you in the least bit comfortably for a studio, and eating your three meals out every day. Think about what is most important to you: food, or your privacy as you stated you wished for. You might consider a short stay in a shared apartment to cut your costs and MEET PEOPLE. No better way to learn about the best places in this city than from those that you live with, plus they will be your best resource to making new friends.

I have quite a few friends that take classes at UBA (University of Buenos Aires). A fine institution no matter what you are studying. They offer classes in English as well. If you are interested in taking Spanish classes, be aware that it is going to be really really difficult especially if you only have a little bit of Spanish under your belt. UBA offers intensive Spanish courses. Best part is, that they are right downtown... their campus is spread out and depending on your area of study, will depend on where in the city your school is located, regardless you are going to be the hub of the best centrally located places.

I would personally recommend San Telmo for you... it's the more bohemian neighborhood with a shit-ton to do and the real estate is less expensive than Belgrano, Palermo, Recoleta. Great bars and cafes, a hop over to Puerto Madero for the club life, easy access to public transportation. The 64 bus takes you all the way to Palermo for 1.25arg, when you live there, that's basically the one bus you will need and drives through all the important areas of the city (Plaza de Mayo, Casa Rosada, Av. de Mayo, Congresso, Bosques del Palermo, etc)...

I don't know, I hope some of this helps. Perhaps everything I mentioned is the opposite of what you want, in which case, Belgrano is for you. Especially if you are Asian... China Town is in Belgrano :)

Argentina doesn't use the American GPA system anyway -- they use a system based on 10 points. Though I don't know if in the Arts programmes it is the same, in Science and Engineering a 7 / 10 at many schools is considered to be accomplished, getting higher means you probably had no life, haha.

You can find a conversion chart online usually relatively easily -- if you can't find one on Belgrano's own website then look on an school in Britain -- usually for graduate programmes they will have conversion charts for international applicants to use.

Back