Plastic bottles picked from garbage

My goodness. I'd no idea the vengeance of "karma" is to be visited upon one who enjoys himself the fruits of his own honest labors. I'll wave at you from the driver's seat of my diamond cadillac, hewn from the profits of the plastic hills of gold strewn across the riverbank.

Good luck to you. Just seems to me that there may be better ways out there for you to make some scratch, but hey, if it means the river gets cleaned up in the process then more power to you and may you make the cartoneros wish they'd gone out there first.

I think he might be joking, at least a little bit. But he's perfectly correct that it's kind of baffling that no-one's picking up the heaps of bottles, when this city-wide recycling scheme is supposedly geared (whether it's entirely altruistic or simply money-making) to just that.

As far as I can tell, Cartonero families or groups of families seem to have "turf" that they stake out, and the "recycling" materials that they find belongs to their area. They then bring all the collection to an agreed upon location where usually a big truck waits for them (or, if their turf is near the train they will wait for the "ghost train") and then bring their stuff to wherever it is that does the recycling. I just don't think that there are many (or any) families whose turf includes the coast, and (though it would be a good idea, as there are so many [!] bottles out there) don't really get outside of their zones too often. Just conjecture on my part.

wcbaytoven said:
I thanks for the responces. Clearly nobody is being made rich from this venture. Yet has no-one seen the amazing surplus of plastic heaped on the rocks of the riverbank, sitting there, right on top of the ground like earthquake oil? My experience has only carried me along the stretch of river running past the ecological preserve. In that stretch alone, enough plastic which could not be harvested from a month's worth of sifting through nightly garbage. There must be some reason that one would spend a night digging in stinking foulness rather than collecting the mounds and mounds of bottles sitting right on the ground, clean as anything. Whether it be laws, lassitude, or ignorance of the bounty, there is some reason. I must know that reason.

To the one who would suggest that I work to harvest the abundance myself only to donate the fruits of my labor to bums who had the exact same opportunity at the pickings as I did, you flatter me with your overestimation of my financial stability. I've no interest in "mother" earth, and the poor can work for their harvest same as would I. This world is no place for hand-outs.

I then suggest that you pursue this gran plan and clean up our shores...although... you are on your own because as you say in your own words "this world is no place for handouts." I would just be happy with the fact that the "fruits of your labor" would make the city that I so adore, cleaner, even if you are profiting only enough to get a couple of brews- don't expect to be able to pay your bills with that kind of income- there dear sir, you flatter me with your overestimation of the generous income that could be attained. Question. Why would travel to another country (despite it being known to be less expensive) with little financial stability so much so that you are really speaking of recycling from our trash to generate some sort of income for yourself?

I came down a millionaire but the ponies got me. Third time I been busted at the ponies. Next time will be different. I got a system now.

wcbaytoven said:
I came down a millionaire but the ponies got me. Third time I been busted at the ponies. Next time will be different. I got a system now.
Perfect answer to a dumb ass question.

you could make heaps of cash if you dressed up as a traffic policeman and gave tickets (but accepted bribes haha) from all the drivers who park in the bike lanes. :OP

Back