Please read. Kony 2012

Robert Kaplan's essay, THE COMING ANARCHY, published in 1994 in THE ATLANTIC MONTHLY (available to read online at the magazine's site), was an early warning of the current situation in Africa. Highly recommended reading, very informative.

I agree that Kony should be stopped, but I don't agree with how IC is going about this. They are creating a sensationalist campaign that is using facts from 6 or 7 years ago that are no longer relevant to the current situation.

Case in point, Kony is no longer operating in Uganda. He does not have an army of 30,000 brainwashed child soldiers as the video leads us to believe. Expert opinion estimates that he may have no more than 400 people with him.

Making Kony famous is going to cause more problems than solutions. And this crazy idea that the problems will go away just because Kony is captured or killed is pure fiction. If Kony is captured, the next person in line will take over.

The problems in central Africa run much deeper than the people at IC understand and I worry that they may do nothing more than fan the flames in an already volatile situation by unleashing a bunch of activist that are not aware of all the facts.

If it works, great. I will be happy to see it work. But it concerns me how they are trying to do this.

Amazing that nobody gave a shit about this years ago when Kony was actually on the rampage in Uganda but now that Justin Bieber tweets about it everybody is suddenly an expert on the Great Lakes region of Africa, Museveni, the LRA, the fractured and shifting ethnic and political demographics in the east of DR Congo etc...

This is apparently an experiment, I guess the hypothesis is can millions of well meaning but uninformed slacktivists make a difference? If the answer turns out to be no can everyone go back to their facebook accounts and agree to next time undertake the more difficult task of informing themselves on an issue first before waving a solution about and feeling self righteous or just stick to the usual menu of the vapid and the vacuous that social media dishes up on a daily basis?

The nice thing about giving these millionaires money is that after they have taken out expenses for first class travel, luxury accomodation, unlimited 'general expenses' and of course funding their film careers -- they give a few cents on the dollar to the poor victims in Uganda.

pauper said:
Amazing that nobody gave a shit about this years ago when Kony was actually on the rampage in Uganda but now that Justin Bieber tweets about it everybody is suddenly an expert on the Great Lakes region of Africa, Museveni, the LRA, the fractured and shifting ethnic and political demographics in the east of DR Congo etc...

This is apparently an experiment, I guess the hypothesis is can millions of well meaning but uninformed slacktivists make a difference? If the answer turns out to be no can everyone go back to their facebook accounts and agree to next time undertake the more difficult task of informing themselves on an issue first before waving a solution about and feeling self righteous or just stick to the usual menu of the vapid and the vacuous that social media dishes up on a daily basis?

Do YOU feel better after sharing your hypothesis?

Back